Gerry Summers

Really sorry to learn that Gerry Summers has passed. He was 90 and part of the team when I started to support SUFC.

RIP

Great player was Gerry, was he a half back in old money?

RIP Gerry.

Yes Gerry was a member of that legendary defence which consisted of Hodgy , Cec Coldwell. Graham Shaw, Brian Richardson and Joe Shaw ( the best centre half never to be selected for the England team). He was a cultured player whereas Brian Richardson was, shall we say, a ball winner and a bit more robust in the tackle.

I was fortunate enough to be there during that time having supported the Blades as a young lad since the early ‘40s.

He was also a decent cricketer.

I think all that defence are now playing their game on the Elysian fields up above!

RIP Gerry and thanks for the memories.

echo.

• Like 2

Rest in Peace Gerry you won't be forgotten.

May I congratulate echo beach on the lovely diplomatic way he described Brian Richardson's style of play. Being in a similar age group I can recall those days and robust alongside Gerry's more creative style describes it well.

• Like 1

I’m not going to say “not a bad age”, because I’m only 13 years off it. I hope that he had a good run in and enjoyed his life, my condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P. Gerry.

Condolences to  family, friends and the fans.