The Biggest Drinker You've Known?

19 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Fascinating topic this. My OH always has a go at me about drinking. I very rarely go above 2 pints of average strength beer and that’s on three nights each week. I never touch spirits or similar,  a bottle of wine maybe at Xmas.  The only time I go over 2 pints is when I go to the match, and then that might be 5 pints spread over the whole day and once per fortnight.

The documentary Adrian Chiles did for the BBC was interesting. He drinks huge amounts weekly and doesn’t even realise it .

That was a very interesting article in Adrian Chiles book when he said that he came to realise that the only drink you really enjoy is the first one and after that all the rest are not as enjoyable. I would think that has helped some people cut down on the amount they were drinking. I think he also said that it is very easy to get through a phenomenal  amount  of units  per week with wine.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 14:37, Ridgewalk said:

Fascinating topic this. My OH always has a go at me about drinking. I very rarely go above 2 pints of average strength beer and that’s on three nights each week. I never touch spirits or similar,  a bottle of wine maybe at Xmas.  The only time I go over 2 pints is when I go to the match, and then that might be 5 pints spread over the whole day and once per fortnight.

The documentary Adrian Chiles did for the BBC was interesting. He drinks huge amounts weekly and doesn’t even realise it .

It's hardly surprising he drinks so much as it's probably to numb the pain of being married to a Guardian editor.

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

It's hardly surprising he drinks so much as it's probably to numb the pain of being married to a Guardian editor.

A bitter and unnecessary comment I feel.

Why not tell us about the excess drinking habits of yourself and your friends?

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

It was a naughty comment  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Apologies, it was tongue in cheek.

To be honest I've never been much of a drinker, I was teetotal until about 20 as I was always the driver.  Whilst I was a bar/club owner in London other temptations came my way rather than booze, and as booze usually gives me a headache I opted for the former.

Now in my mid fifties I occasionally have a bender with a friend twice a year, a good all night session but the hangovers these days are too brutal and last for 2-3 days. 

I usually have a glass of rosé whilst making dinner and that's my lot these days.

20 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Whilst I was a bar/club owner in London other temptations came my way rather than booze, and as booze usually gives me a headache I opted for the former.

Go on, give us some war stories.

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Go on, give us some war stories.

Disco biscuits, the usual.

Crazy but absolutely wonderful times. 

13 hours ago, spilldig said:

That was a very interesting article in Adrian Chiles book when he said that he came to realise that the only drink you really enjoy is the first one and after that all the rest are not as enjoyable. I would think that has helped some people cut down on the amount they were drinking. I think he also said that it is very easy to get through a phenomenal  amount  of units  per week with wine.

He obviously didn't have his first pint in the Black Swan you needed five more to get rid of the taste.

10 hours ago, retep said:

He obviously didn't have his first pint in the Black Swan you needed five more to get rid of the taste.

Sam Smiths best bitter ,    The Pub on Norfolk Street sell it , it’s not bad at all these days , The Lager in there is dynamite 

15 hours ago, retep said:

I used to like Les Dawson and his drink comments.  I wouldn't say I'm a hard drinker, I find it very easy, anyway I don't drink much, I spill most of it.  Ahhh booze!  The reason I get up every afternoon.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 07:40, Prettytom said:

That’s quite a lot.

I would  need a wee after a session like that.

You would need a wee what ?