Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)

2 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

That’s how it is now with PCV and HGV drivers. They have to undertake 35 ongoing training in every 5 year period.

Thats a professional career though they should have too being in control of a 5+ tonne plus lump of metal.

On 21/02/2024 at 10:21, Michael_N said:

Personally I don't get why they haven't just done the bus gate between set hours... Leeds is a prime example of this where it is put to good use. 

this 

To be fair its a bit of a crappy solution to a problem I don't think many people thought the city actually had.  Was the emissions that bad outside the Crucible?

The turning circle for a hotel and the Underground car parking/business entrance for the whole of St Paul's isn't ideal for cars getting all confused about having to turn around.

All its done is make the roundabout and the road down towards Brown Street, onto Matilda Street terrible in rush hour, which also backs up traffic heading up to Charter Row

On 20/02/2024 at 18:06, 26b-6 said:

For obvious reasons I do not venture into Sheffield City Centre unless it is absolutely necessary.  Unfortunately yesterday was one of those days :(

I was driving along Arundel Gate and just past the roundabout is now a bus-gate? Because of a coach blocking the hotel u-turn i had to reverse back into the crossing to manoeuvre onto other-side of the road. This planning is beyond absurd.

The new architecture in all cities is mostly appalling. But those apartments on Pinstone Street are IMO the most hideous.  I'm all for trying new wacky designs but these monstrosities!? Who in their right would approve these?

I was defensive of the council when they bulldozed an old Victorian pub. Now I see why so many folk wanted to save it.

Sheffield City Council has a combined room temperature IQ 

We the citizens should be able to vote on each and everything that affects the city's people 

Just now, Grumpycatweasel said:

Sheffield City Council has a combined room temperature IQ 

We the citizens should be able to vote on each and everything that affects the city's people 

Why do you feel the need to insult people who do their best for this city?

Do you actually think anything through before you post? How do you think it would work to have a ballot on absolutely everything the council does and every decision they make? 

Do you know anywhere in the world where things are done that way?

Do you have the faintest idea how many such decisions are taken by the council?

Never heard of consultation fatigue?

Never mind the huge amount of effort and cost that would go into having that many ballots. 

Utterly ridiculous and unworkable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

Thats a professional career though they should have too being in control of a 5+ tonne plus lump of metal.

So being in control of a lump of metal that’s less than 5 tonnes absolves you from following road signs and traffic laws does it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

this 

Until you note how easily some drivers seem to get “confused”

Having restrictions that apply at all times is more easily understood.

On bus lanes that operate only part of the time, you often see that drivers won’t go in them at times they can and actually get ****ty with drivers so quite correctly do use them.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Why do you feel the need to insult people who do their best for this city?

Do you actually think anything through before you post? How do you think it would work to have a ballot on absolutely everything the council does and every decision they make? 

Do you know anywhere in the world where things are done that way?

Do you have the faintest idea how many such decisions are taken by the council?

Never heard of consultation fatigue?

Never mind the huge amount of effort and cost that would go into having that many ballots. 

Utterly ridiculous and unworkable. 

That's just it they don't have the city's best interests at heart or have such a skewd perception of what the people require from a city 

Just now, Planner1 said:

Until you note how easily some drivers seem to get “confused”

Having restrictions that apply at all times is more easily understood.

On bus lanes that operate only part of the time, you often see that drivers won’t go in them at times they can and actually get ****ty with drivers so quite correctly do use them.

Having no restrictions is whst we all require, its not like that specific area is thwarted with traffic at anytime

1 minute ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

That's just it they don't have the city's best interests at heart or have such a skewd perception of what the people require from a city 

Not true in my view. No one would be a councillor just to feather their own nest. The allowances they get are a pittance for what they do and the hassle they get. Very few get into the more senior positions and even fewer go on to have a career in Westminster. 

The problem with assessing what people want from a city is that there as many views as there are people and a lot of views are conflicting. The way that is dealt with is by having decisions made by politicians who are accountable to the electorate at the ballot box.

The officers are generally decent professionals who do a good job. 

6 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

Having no restrictions is whst we all require, its not like that specific area is thwarted with traffic at anytime

Who is “we”?

I think quite a few people understand the need to keep through traffic out of the city centre.