The Chansiri Years In Number

As requested by Owl

a summary of Sheffield Wednesday's finances over the last decade...ish. Club now has accuumulated losses of £132m despite selling the stadium to the owner at a £38m profit #DejphonChansiriFootballGenius

I make that a loss of 200M over his 9 year stint, if you factor in what he paid to MM and wipe away the 38M profit from the ground sale.  

GGDzhNrW4AAYdWv.png

3 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

The revenue from player sales versus income from player additions is also quite shocking.

He’s not a businessman really, is he.

He has said he's tried to sell players but no one wanted them. Only he knows if that's true. Forestieri is the only one that I can think of we definitely could of sold but all hell would of broke loose if he sold him.

200 million is mental though, I'd want to cut my losses if I was him. He's only likely to lose more rather than get it back.

22 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

The revenue from player sales versus income from player additions is also quite shocking.

He’s not a businessman really, is he.

Wage bill topping 42M in 2018.

You get an idea of how hes reduced fees on players as well, down to 300K in 22, hefty reliance on free transfers

21 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

He has said he's tried to sell players but no one wanted them. Only he knows if that's true. Forestieri is the only one that I can think of we definitely could of sold but all hell would of broke loose if he sold him.

200 million is mental though, I'd want to cut my losses if I was him. He's only likely to lose more rather than get it back.

He knocked back attempts to sign FF, Hooper, Tom Lees (Burnley) and Adam Reach (Wolves) and ALL left on free transfers

This gives a little insight re some of the financial issues:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13071465/MATT-BARLOW-Sheffield-Wednesday-dysfunctional-mess.html

Some snippets from the article:

The relief of occasional victory barely masks the shambles one of the great clubs of northern football has become. Punters know it because they live it every day and they hear what's going on.

Hot water sometimes runs out after games, a problem blamed on an old stadium in need of a power upgrade and the habit of some players draining the system with pre-match showers. The heating broke in the offices before Christmas, although fixed within 24 hours and the club portable heaters were brought in. Pitches at the club's Middlewood Road training ground were frozen and unfit to use in the cold snap and the inflatable dome with its indoor pitch has been out of action for a year, damaged by heavy snow last year and not expected back up before next month.

Röhl trained some days at Hillsborough, where the pitch is in poor condition as it often is in midwinter and reflects the neglect around the rest of the stadium. Urgent attention is required but money is tight at this level. Just three full-time ground staff tend the pitch at the stadium and those at the training ground. By way of reference, the ground staff at a Premier League club would be at least double this and often in double figures. What must Röhl make of it all? He has worked at Bayern Munich one of the best-run clubs in the world, and RB Leipzig with its space-age commitment to sports science.

Sheffield Wednesday is a dysfunctional mess.

Chansiri, son a canned fish tycoon, is thin-skinned and takes the criticism badly. From his angle, he bought the club when nobody wanted it. He threw millions from the family fortune at the Premier League dream and nobody thanked him for his efforts. That's because he fell short, losing at Wembley in the Championship play-off final in 2016 and the play-off semi-finals a year later, then the overspending caught up.

Wednesday broke the EFL's Profit and Sustainability Rules, were deducted points for financial irregularities and spent two years languishing in League One before promotion in spectacular style. Good decisions and good appointments – and there have been some in nine years since Chansiri bought the club from Milan Mandaric - seem to be forever eclipsed by bad ones. Probably because there is no infrastructure to provide Sheffield Wednesday with the stability of a normal club. Instead, it blows around in the wind at the whim of the owner.

Victory on New Year's Day against Hull City lifted them within three points of safety with the transfer market open and even Wednesday's notoriously pessimistic fans started humming the theme to Great Escape. They should have known better. Chansiri let Röhl and his team down as one deal after another collapsed in January. Conor Coventry rejected the Owls to join Charlton in a relegation battle one league down, as did Myles Peart-Harris, who opted for Portsmouth.

Duncan McGuire snubbed them for Blackburn, who then made a mess of the deal leaving him without a transfer.

There were echoes of the summer transfer window when Wednesday earned a reputation for being difficult to do business with, reluctant to pay fees to agents. Meanwhile, they still demanded money for players they desperately wanted out to make room on the wage bill. In the end, even more loan signings were thrown into the mix. When the window closed there were seven registered on loan but a maximum of five can be named in any match-day squad.

Relegation looms but there is a bigger picture because what Owls supporters crave most is a break from this endless cycle of chaos and uncertainty.

Edited by PapaLazarou