Pierrepoints Fruit & Veg Stall

13 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I did some genealogy on it Hillsboro, they are almost certainly related but several generations before.. but the spelling had  changed. . . . I think it is almost proven that they were related, but that the actual shared Grandparent is back in the 18th century, possibly not within a 100 years of either Albert or William's birth."

That's interesting, sadbrewer. Being interested in family history (especially since I learned that my great-grandmother Ann Robinson, née Beresford was descended from Sir Thomas Beresford, who fought at Agincourt in 1415!) I did the same sort of online research 10-15 years ago, with pretty much the same result.  I'm sure that the Pierrepoint and Pierrepont people are distantly related, the difficulty being in establishing a link in this case!

But the belief in Sheffield that William Pierrepont of Sheffield was related to Albert Pierrepoint the executioner is more recent than any putative family connection, being based on simple confusion of the two surnames. I doubt very much that William the greengrocer would have claimed to be related to Albert the hangman!

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

That's interesting, sadbrewer. Being interested in family history (especially since I learned that my great-grandmother Ann Robinson, née Beresford was descended from Sir Thomas Beresford, who fought at Agincourt in 1415!) I did the same sort of online research 10-15 years ago, with pretty much the same result.  I'm sure that the Pierrepoint and Pierrepont people are distantly related, the difficulty being in establishing a link in this case!

But the belief in Sheffield that William Pierrepont of Sheffield was related to Albert Pierrepoint the executioner is more recent than any putative family connection, being based on simple confusion of the two surnames. I doubt very much that William the greengrocer would have claimed to be related to Albert the hangman!

When it comes to history I would shake the hand of any man that challenged you Hillsborough...

Id

When it comes to history I would shake the hand of any man that challenged you Hillsborough...

10 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I would agree Hillsbro... I dogged it back to the earliest census records available and I'm 99% certain they are the same family, it would need a match on Ancestry to prove it beyond doubt or access to parish records that are not online.  There is though a definite Attercliffe connection, Wilfred Fowler, the Attercliffe man convicted of the murder of William Plummer during the Sheffield gang wars was hanged by Albert Pierrepoint. 

Edited by sadbrewer

I've just been down the 'Cliff'  (past Pierponts) What a sad introduction to anyone entering Sheffield.

Banners was good and Hitchens was even better, those Attercliffe lass didn't bother with changing rooms.

Happy days :blush:.  

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I've just been down the 'Cliff'  (past Pierponts) What a sad introduction to anyone entering Sheffield.

Banners was good and Hitchens was even better, those Attercliffe lass didn't bother with changing rooms.

Happy days :blush:.  

Lol you forgot corona fashions on corner mate 🤣 😂 

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Lol you forgot corona fashions on corner mate 🤣 😂 

Thank you Gaz you've made HTSBO day.

Corona Fashions, she's probably still got some of their stock in't wardrobe 👱‍♀️.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Gaz you've made HTSBO day.

Corona Fashions, she's probably still got some of their stock in't wardrobe 👱‍♀️.

Ey up Rocker,

What about Banners?

16 minutes ago, Padders said:

Ey up Rocker,

What about Banners?

Hey up Padders He mentioned Banners and Hitchens what about Rossingtons Bazzars sold everything further down across from pierponts fruit shop !

• Thanks 1

Don't laugh :huh:.

I only remember the clothes shops  Banners, Corona Fashions &  Hitchens because  while I was getting tattooed  'Fine-line Tattoos' (few shops down from't Carlton) HTSBO would be choosing something from one of them.

(It probably also explains why HTSBO can't get into her wardrobe or me in 1/2 of mine 😄

While I'm here lets not forget Syd Smith's thanks for all the cables :thumbsup:

Keep safe

59 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Don't laugh :huh:.

I only remember the clothes shops  Banners, Corona Fashions &  Hitchens because  while I was getting tattooed  'Fine-line Tattoos' (few shops down from't Carlton) HTSBO would be choosing something from one of them.

(It probably also explains why HTSBO can't get into her wardrobe or me in 1/2 of mine 😄

While I'm here lets not forget Syd Smith's thanks for all the cables :thumbsup:

Keep safe

Syds still going strong at Darnal bless him he sorted my fizzy out in 1979 lol ride an xjr these days could use f s 1 e as a starter motor 😀 😄 😉