Changes To Bus, Tram And Train Services In South Yorkshire From 29/10/23

In summary...

the following buses have cuts/changes to evening and Sunday services following changes to the contracts let and funded by the South Yorkshire Mayor:

1 - High Green to Jordanthorpe

1a - Chapeltown to Herdings

2 - Sheffield to Barnsley

7 - Ecclesfield to Crystal Peaks

8 - Ecclesfield to Birley

11 - Sheffield to Herdings

18/18a - Sheffield to Hillsborough via Norton, Gleadless and Meadowhall

25 - Bradway to Woodhouse

30a - Hallamshire Hospital to Plumbley

41/42 - Sheffield to Frecheville and Crystal Peaks

56 Wybourn to Nether Edge

57/57a Sheffield to Stocksbridge

73 Sheffield to Rotherham via Handsworth

81/82 Stannington to Dore or Millhouses

83 Chapeltown to Fulwood

86 Lowedges to Chapeltown

88 Ecclesfield to Bents Green

207/208 Sheffield to Whiston and Rotherham

X5 Sheffield to Dinnington

X54 Sheffield to Harthill

The following buses have an evening and Sunday service introduced thanks to funding from the South Yorkshire Mayor

9a Sheffield to Manor Top via Darnall

The following buses have minor route and/or timetable changes

2a Sheffield to Park Spring

10/10a Manor Top and Hallamshire Hospital circular

24 Lowedges to Woodhouse

30/X30 Hallamshire Hospital to Crystal Peaks and Harthill

43 Sheffield to Chesterfield via Dronfield

50/50a Sheffield to Chesterfield via Eckington

52 Woodhouse to Crookes

52a Woodhouse to Hillsborough

135 Chapeltown to Rotherham

X30 Sheffield to Harthill

The following new routes are introduced commercially

43a Sheffield-Lowedges

The following routes have an improved service with support from Derbyshire County Council

44 Sheffield-Chesterfield (evening and Sunday journeys extended through to Chesterfield)

X17 Sheffield-Chesterfield-Matlock-Wirksworth (new evening journeys added Sheffield-Chesterfield)

The following route have improved service provided on a commercial basis

120 Fulwood to Halfway (extra evening trips Fulwood to City at the weekend during University term time)

The following routes are changed after no longer being commercially viable but replaced with support of Derbyshire County Council

80/80a Chesterfield to Crystal Peaks via Killamarsh

The following Supertram timetable changes are also planned

Minor changes to the times on Sundays on the Blue and Yellow routes.

Also worth a mention - improvements to Derbyshire buses earlier this year

218 Sheffield to Bakewell via Totley now has an evening service

257 Sheffield to Bakewell via Crosspool now has an evening service

272 Sheffield to Castleton via Ecclesall now has a later last bus on Fridays and Saturdays.

More information including timetable downloads...

South Yorkshire https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/service-changes

Derbyshire https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport-roads/public-transport/news-notices/bus-service-changes/forthcoming-changes-to-bus-services.aspx

Edited by Andy C

The fare changes mentioned are those schemes subsidised by the South Yorkshire Mayor

Child under 11 and Zoom card (11-16 and 16-18 yrs) holders - subsidised flat fare up from 80p to £1. Various weekly or monthly passes are also available which may prove better value for regular travellers.

Zoom Beyond card (18-21 years) holders - this trial scheme has had its funding withdrawn and the 80p subsidised flat fare is no longer available. Stagecoach bus, First bus and Supertram will still offer a discounted flat fare for card holders - £1.50 by bus and £2.00 by tram. On other bus companies the adult fare will apply - max £2. For regular travellers a weekly or monthly pass may be better value.

Mayor's fare cap on tram - the maximum fare promotion funded by the mayor is increased from £2 to £2.80. Some shorter tram journeys will cost less than £2.80. In some cases a daily, weekly or monthly pass may be better value.

Government funded fare cap on bus - this was due to increase from £2 to £2.50, however the Prime Minister has since announced it will remain at £2 until December 2024.

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy C said:

The fare changes mentioned are those schemes subsidised by the South Yorkshire Mayor

Child under 11 and Zoom card (11-16 and 16-18 yrs) holders - subsidised flat fare up from 80p to £1. Various weekly or monthly passes are also available which may prove better value for regular travellers.

Zoom Beyond card (18-21 years) holders - this trial scheme has had its funding withdrawn and the 80p subsidised flat fare is no longer available. Stagecoach bus, First bus and Supertram will still offer a discounted flat fare for card holders - £1.50 by bus and £2.00 by tram. On other bus companies the adult fare will apply - max £2. For regular travellers a weekly or monthly pass may be better value.

Mayor's fare cap on tram - the maximum fare promotion funded by the mayor is increased from £2 to £2.80. Some shorter tram journeys will cost less than £2.80. In some cases a daily, weekly or monthly pass may be better value.

Government funded fare cap on bus - this was due to increase from £2 to £2.50, however the Prime Minister has since announced it will remain at £2 until December 2024.

Which is now going to lead to staff getting abused when the general public confuse all the differences between operators etc

I'm surprised there hasn't been more moaning about the kid's fares tbh. Last time it went up (about 8 years ago IIRC) there was a massive outcry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Resident said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more moaning about the kid's fares tbh. Last time it went up (about 8 years ago IIRC) there was a massive outcry

It was 40 Pence when I was a girl, rising to 50 Pence just before my 16th birthday. At the end of the day, parents should ensure that they can afford their child's bus fare before the conceive them. If your child needs to catch a bus to school, you are sending them to a school too far away. Catchment areas are in place for the child's welfare, as well as to avoid cross social class conflict.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

It was 40 Pence when I was a girl, rising to 50 Pence just before my 16th birthday. At the end of the day, parents should ensure that they can afford their child's bus fare before the conceive them. If your child needs to catch a bus to school, you are sending them to a school too far away. Catchment areas are in place for the child's welfare, as well as to avoid cross social class conflict.

Balderdash - I needed to catch one - to my Grammar School, as it was then - because there wasn't one within walking distance. They way secondary school campuses are planned these days, as large buildings, they have wide catchment areas .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Balderdash - I needed to catch one - to my Grammar School, as it was then - because there wasn't one within walking distance. They way secondary school campuses are planned these days, as large buildings, they have wide catchment areas .

If your parents wanted to send you to a grammar school, they should have bought a house close to one when choosing the family home. This is why estate agent websites list nearby schools. Alas, your grammar school can't have been all that good, judging by the punctuation in some of your posts.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If your parents wanted to send you to a grammar school, they should have bought a house close to one when choosing the family home. This is why estate agent websites list nearby schools. Alas, your grammar school can't have been all that good, judging by the punctuation in some of your posts.

My parents didn't 'want to send me to a Grammar School' - i qualified to go to one.

Please give examples of my poor punctuation.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

My parents didn't 'want to send me to a Grammar School' - i qualified to go to one.

Please give examples of my poor punctuation.

You have written you are as your in the past. Also, when I is used as a word, it needs a capital letter.

You have written you are as your in the past. Also, when I is used as a word, it needs a capital letter.

Where?

That last unintentional lower-case 'i' was merely because I was distracted and hit 'post' before proof-reading - my apologies if I offended your sensibilities.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Where?

That last unintentional lower-case 'i' was merely because I was distracted and hit 'post' before proof-reading - my apologies if I offended your sensibilities.

Not to worry, I suppose it's a struggle for some.

Not to worry, I suppose it's a struggle for some.

So you cannot prove your claim - not a problem, I shall ignore your failure.