Coronation

13 minutes ago, m williamson said:

St Patricks day is celebrated around the world. Countries light up their iconic buildings and places in green to celebrate it. The Eiffel Tower, Sidney Opera House, Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio, Niagra Falls, the Statue of Liberty the Collosseum in Rome and hundreds of others.

Warrington had an attrocity committed there by some terrorists. Ireland has had attrocities committed throughout the island by people from this country but only a few Irish hold a grudge.

My mother witnessed some Black and Tans shooting at a 12 year old schoolgirl friend of hers as she was running away up a country lane. My Sheffield father served throughout WW2. My mother was an intelligent kind hearted woman and knew that tarring an entire nation with the actions of a few was ridiculous.

Pity more people don't think the same way.

Fully agree with you but Is St Georges Day celebrated in the place where those events occured . 

You set this off by your the usual moans brigade comment ,.

St Patricks day should not be celebrated in this Country the same as St Georges is not celebrated in the republic of Ireland . 

I have worked there and been called a English bar stuard on sites . 

On the other hand i have Irish friends who have no interest in past atrocities from both sides .

When I lived in New York, along with 5 other Brits we worked for a company that was mostly Irish. Apart from the odd one or two who refused to even talk to us Brits the rest were sound lads.

Every St Patrick's day us Brits would spend the night as peacemakers at Fitzpatricks bar as the Irish lads just wanted to knock seven bells out of each other, then the following morning they would all be best mates again!!!!

Proper weird.

4 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Fully agree with you but Is St Georges Day celebrated in the place where those events occured . 

St Patricks day should not be celebrated in this Country the same as St Georges is not celebrated in the republic of Ireland . 

On the other hand i have Irish friends who have no interest in past atrocities from both sides .

I don't agree with you there mate.

There are Irish people in this country and English people in Ireland and so on, all around the world.

I see nothing wrong at all, with Irish people celebrating St Patricks day over here and, when I was entertaining, it always stood out as a very good night.

I also see nothing wrong with any English folk in Ireland, celebrating St Georges day over there either.

Everybody should be able to do as they please and say as they please as long as their actions are not a threat to  other groups.

There is already far too much attempting to stifle peoples freedoms which usually results in more animosity rather than people coming together.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Well I lived there for a while with my parents. My father was an English protestant ex British soldier who lived and worked there and never had the slightest problem. I went to both a national school and a technical college there and in both I was the only person on the premises who wasn't 100% Irish. I never had a problem other than some leg pulling which I actually enjoyed giving some back.

That was back in the late fifties early sixties and things have changed a lot,  there are a considerable number of English , Polish and other nationalities living in the area now. My wife and I are going to a cousins wedding in July and she's marrying an English lad from Swindon.

Are you sure that the barsteward references didn't have more to do with your personality than your nationality cuttsie? After all you do support the owls don't you, and I know how annoying that lot can be 😀

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

Well I lived there for a while with my parents. My father was an English protestant ex British soldier who lived and worked there and never had the slightest problem. I went to both a national school and a technical college there and in both I was the only person on the premises who wasn't 100% Irish. I never had a problem other than some leg pulling which I actually enjoyed giving some back.

That was back in the late fifties early sixties and things have changed a lot,  there are a considerable number of English , Polish and other nationalities living in the area now. My wife and I are going to a cousins wedding in July and she's marrying an English lad from Swindon.

Are you sure that the barsteward references didn't have more to do with your personality than your nationality cuttsie? After all you do support the owls don't you, and I know how annoying that lot can be 😀

Good un . No we worked in a place near Cork , Cappaquin ??????  . Cement Kilns .

The locals tried it on , One especially calling us a few choice  names and threats .

We had a Arourthorne lad in our gang if I remember he was called Pete Parkin or Parker . 

He settled the locals by giving the local hard case the Arbourthorne kiss .

In the hotel bar we got people coming around with collecting tins for the IRA . 

I was sat at the bar one night talking to the local Dr , After a few drinks he started the English bar stuards thing .

I vowed never to go back when I got home , the year 1967 ish .

Having said that I have worked with many Irish men in Sheffield without problems and I have never heard any English people on sites dish out the same treatment that we had over there .

As to my personality I get along with any one , the football section is daft and I no longer take it seriously .

13 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Good un . No we worked in a place near Cork , Cappaquin ??????  . Cement Kilns .

The locals tried it on , One especially calling us a few choice  names and threats .

We had a Arourthorne lad in our gang if I remember he was called Pete Parkin or Parker . 

He settled the locals by giving the local hard case the Arbourthorne kiss .

In the hotel bar we got people coming around with collecting tins for the IRA . 

I was sat at the bar one night talking to the local Dr , After a few drinks he started the English bar stuards thing .

I vowed never to go back when I got home , the year 1967 ish .

Having said that I have worked with many Irish men in Sheffield without problems and I have never heard any English people on sites dish out the same treatment that we had over there .

As to my personality I get along with any one , the football section is daft and I no longer take it seriously .

Only a joke about the football cuttsie, couldn't resist.

Your experience is really strange and upsetting to me. As I said I've spent a lot of time in Ireland over the years and never encountered anything like that.

I regard County Clare as my home every bit as much as I do Sheffield. Although I was born in Sheffield my parents moved to Cumbria when I was a baby and didn't return until I was 5 .

We spent every summer in Clare with the family and so I knew them and other people there before I got to know anyone in Sheffield. Over the years my wife and I have visited lots of other parts of Ireland after staying with the family. We've stayed over in sixteen different countys and in some of them like Dublin, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, Tipperary and Cork  on numerious occasions.

My wife is a Sheffielder so to all intents and purposes we would come across as an English couple. Never had a problem anywhere, in fact the exact opposite, always been treat with good humour and been made welcome.

I'm disgusted to hear about your treatment, the only time I was asked to contribute to NORAID was in a couple of bars in New York back in the seventies.

8 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Only a joke about the football cuttsie, couldn't resist.

Your experience is really strange and upsetting to me. As I said I've spent a lot of time in Ireland over the years and never encountered anything like that.

I regard County Clare as my home every bit as much as I do Sheffield. Although I was born in Sheffield my parents moved to Cumbria when I was a baby and didn't return until I was 5 .

We spent every summer in Clare with the family and so I knew them and other people there before I got to know anyone in Sheffield. Over the years my wife and I have visited lots of other parts of Ireland after staying with the family. We've stayed over in sixteen different countys and in some of them like Dublin, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, Tipperary and Cork  on numerious occasions.

My wife is a Sheffielder so to all intents and purposes we would come across as an English couple. Never had a problem anywhere, in fact the exact opposite, always been treat with good humour and been made welcome.

I'm disgusted to hear about your treatment, the only time I was asked to contribute to NORAID was in a couple of bars in New York back in the seventies.

Well wrong place at wrong time for me , 

I know lads who go fishing in Ireland and love it .

There was some rough lads working with us back then they did not take any nonsense .

By the way at Cappaquine I saw kids catching salmon in buckets , The river ran past a abattoir and the blood was washed into the river , The fish were on a feeding frenzy an amazing sight .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Heaven forbid that this country celebrates anything.

Always summat to get outraged about.

Nothing wrong with celebrating something work celebrating, the coronation isn't.

3 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Nothing wrong with celebrating something work celebrating, the coronation isn't.

It gives some a good reason to moan, now what could be better than that.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

It gives some a good reason to moan, now what could be better than that.

It's a moan to speak out against something you dislike intensely? Grow up.  

May be an image of text that says "NOT MY KING"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, blackydog said:

You've had your moan now. 

3 minutes ago, blackydog said:

May be an image of text that says "NOT MY KING"

He is YOUR KING.

You may not like it but it is a fact.

Edited by harvey19