Searching For Information About Stevenson & Law Cutlery

Greetings,  I am doing some research about the Stevenson & Law firm that  manufactured cutlery in the late 1800s and had a silvermark J.S   References I have do not give any input about this organization so I am reaching out to any/all who might be able to direct my attention to a written or online reference that might shed more input about them. Many thanks in advanced.  BufNickel 

The  partnership between Job Stevenson and William Law of 25 Orchard lane was dissolved on 31st August 1895. Job Stevenson carried on in business at the same address and continued using the name Stevenson and Law. By 1905 Stevenson and Law  were at the Monument Works, 103 - 105 Carver street.  In 1937 they were advertising the Clintock Teapot, being made at the Monument Works 103-105 Carver street  (near the Moor end).  Job Stevenson died aged 80 in June 1939, he had been the third generation of Job Stevensons in the trade, his father made old Sheffield plate. Job was buried at Abbey Lane and the business ceased, everything being sold off.

Edited by TedW
  • Like 1

Just as an aside Kelham Island Museum has a wealth of knowledge about the Sheffield cutlery trade.

• Like 1

I was interested to see you are researching into Stevenson and Law  and wonder what your interest is?  Have you been successful in finding more information?

From 11th July 1939 courtesy of the British Newspaper archive. 

Screenshot_20240322_180442.jpg

• Like 1

Have a look at the Hawley Collection on line. They have details and photographs of cutlery made by most, if not all, Sheffield cutlers. 

• Like 1

Geoffrey Tweedale 's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 to 2013 contains excellent information about the subject. I have two grandparents and a granduncle included in the book.

• Like 1

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, which I will look into. Job Stevenson (died 1939) was my  great, great uncle and I have been doing some family history on the Stevensons for my elderly Mum.  I visited the Sheffield Archive recently but they do not hold anything on either Job Stevenson (any of them) or Stevenson and Law. I have said I will send the Archive the (very) small amount of information I have, including one or two photographs and a copy of an invoice. So, I would be very grateful for any further information, with references if possible.  Thanks, Sue

For Stevenson and Law, check out https://archive.org/stream/registercopyofre00grea/registercopyofre00grea_djvu.txt 

This contains the full text of the THE SHEFFIELD  ASSAY  OFFICE REGISTER:  "Register. A copy of the register of the persons concerned in the manufacture of silver wares, and of the marks entered by them from 1773 to 1907".  If you click on other formats and then go to p73, you will see the entry for Stevenson and Law at 25, Orchard Lane.  Their markers mark J.S was registered on  5th August 1896.  The index on page xiii at the back lists Stevenson and Law.