The confusing state of the ownership of Crowder House was started by John Wilkinson (b 1727 - d 1812) when following the death of his fisrt wife Mary in 1782 made a marriage settlement for his second wife in 1786, also Mary, who he had found as a Bradfield workhouse inmate. This settlement changed the fee tail arrangement which for centuries had ensured land passed only to the eldest son (no 13 generations requirement). John gave Crowder on trust to neighbour John Booth (of the Brushes) and Nathaniel Mellor (his cousin's son) on trust, to mortgage for the sum of £260 in accordance with any directions in his will. As part of the settlement, his eldest son William (b 1762 d 1854) was only to receive a life interest in Crowder, then after his deathit was to be leased for 21 year at £30 a year, by William's eldest son William Hawley Wilkinson (b 1804 d 1830). John moved out of Crowder into Tithe Laith (probably on the site of Paddock Farm) in November 1798. His 1812 will confirmed that the £260 from the mortgage was to be invested for the benfit of his wife, and after her death shared amongst his younger children. Mary also received cottages at Wood End and Bracken Hill and was allowed to live at Tithe Laithe for the rest of her life. Johns's second oldest son , also a John, had already been given Burncross Farm and this was confirmed in the will.
The mortgage of £260 was provided by Charlotte Oldfield, a shopkeeper of Sheffield Moor, later Highfield Place, who died in 1833. One of her executors was Thomas James Parker, a solicitor, who ended up with the mortgage and evicted the Wilkinsons from Crowder in May 1855, following Williams death. It was purchased at auction by Bernard Wake in 1856.
During the early 1800's Crowder was occupied by Wilkinsons only intermittently, for example being leased to Joseph Hodgson in 1803 following William's marriage, to John Hutchinson in 1809 and to George Barrett up to 1842. William Wilkinson lived at Bathley near Newark during the 1820's, one of his daughters being born there. In 1825 William's second eldest son Walter (b 1809 d 1885) was apprenticed to a scissorsmith, which was not a happy experience, though he did eventually set up a long running shears business. William's eldest son, William Hawley Wilkinson died unexpectedly aged 26, which eliminated that claim. Walter's will when he died at Cemetery Road in 1885 stated that he left "all his freehold property at Crowder House" to his son - though he didn't actually own any, and this shows that the confusion as to ownership had been passed on down the family.
Much confusion as to the ownership was caused during the early 1800's as mortgages were assigned to different people, and deeds of dis-entailment were made (9th & 11th November 1826). There were several vicars, bankers and solicitors involved in these transactions - including Rev Harrison Taylor of Treeton, Rev George Chandler of Treeton, John Brewin banker, James Wheat solicitor.
There is no wonder that the family didn't know what was going on. Some of William's daughters continued to live on the Longley estate at Longley Bottom cottage for many years, and were involved in a legal dispute about the boundary, involving charges of stealing apples from Wake's orchard.
After Bernard Wake died in 1891 Crowder passed to his daughter Jane. In 1926 it was subject to compulsory purchase by the Council and demolished in 1935.