Finding An Old School Friend At King Edward's

3 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I contacted Alan Chittenden via the Forum a few years ago (and did his family tree - I quite enjoy this sort of research!) A

Could a family tree website help, as they show other relatives etc, though I think you might need a subscription to view etc?

hillsboro. without wanting to drift off the OP's topic, are there any websites you recommend for building a family tree, and also for seeing the different bloodlines, and printing it all off please? I'm doing more and am currently subscribed to MyHeritage but my sub expires soon.

Edited by WarPig

19 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Hi Paul - yes, still alive and kicking! But we can't be 74 . . SEVENTY-FOUR? . . come off it! But in fact I was reminded of Anno Domini in September when the Queen died - I can remember the Coronation.

I'm still in regular contact with Patrick Burns from our year - he now lives near our Sheffield home in Wadsley. And I occasionally hear from Chris Gilson, who has lived in South Wales since c. 1970. I contacted Alan Chittenden via the Forum a few years ago (and did his family tree - I quite enjoy this sort of research!) Also Don Nicolson via the "Clapton Era" website. This is apart from Ian Minogue who married my sister (in 1978 - I wasn't sure if I should be the best man or a bridesmaid 😄) Of those who have joined N.L.C., A.J., N.J.B., V.A.V., E.L.V. & Co., I don't know of many but Dave Pringle died as long ago as 2003, and David Askham in 2015. John Ramsden died in 2009 (see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ramsden_(historian)) But with any luck we'll still be around for quite a while yet!

Well it is indeed hard to believe that we’re on the verge of being  75

Im sure I remember a shiny faced young Patrick Burns and the erstwhile Chittenden Jnr being with me on my first day in 1 (3) under JETs formidable tutelage .

I remember fondly all the names you’ve mentioned there.

Don Nicholson contacted me about attending the anniversary get together of the 59ers some years ago now. I’m sad that my lack of mobility forced me to decline the offer. I really would have liked to have seen some of the old faces.

If I’ve ever looked for photos of OE dinners the only people I’ve been able to pick out are Dave Barraclough, Julian Brown and Nev Addy otherwise it’s a sea of unfamiliar faces from other years and heaven forbid …… there’s even women amongst them 😳 !!

4 hours ago, WarPig said:

hillsboro. without wanting to drift off the OP's topic, are there any websites you recommend for building a family tree, and also for seeing the different bloodlines, and printing it all off please? I'm doing more and am currently subscribed to MyHeritage but my sub expires soon.

Hi - I'm not familiar with MyHeritage but apart from subscription sites there are the General Register Office online indexes, also freebmd etc. and the sheffieldindexers site, also the Probate Registry which can be useful for exact dates of death.  In the past I have subscribed to Ancestry and findmypast.co.uk. A few years ago my Ancestry subscription went up  by a factor of 3+, and since then I have used findmypast which I find has just about everything  I need. Like Ancestry it has its own facility for building a family tree, importing photos to the tree etc,, and there are also other family tree software packages available.

Message me if you need any help with any particular aspect of your tree.

In fact it's surprising what you can find out about your forebears, Apart from learning that I am descended from the Emperor Charlemagne  (I almost began signing letters "Yours imperially" 😄) I was recently researching my Lincolnshire ancestors using findmypast's access to the British Newspaper Archive. I learned a little about their deeds - and misdeeds. See here for example regarding my great-great-great-grandfather Benjamin Betts, from the 'Lincolnshire Chronicle' of 9 April 1852. https://i.postimg.cc/xjz0zTf8/Benjamin-Betts.jpg I hope they didn't put old Ben in the same cell as Martha Burrell.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Well it is indeed hard to believe that we’re on the verge of being  75  …  …  there’s even women amongst them !!

Yes - female Old Edwardians - is nothing sacred?! 😄  Looking at the 1(3) photo on Don's site  I remembered Irving Smith whom  I knew well at school, and then later when we both worked for HSBC in the 1980s+. I took early retirement in 2002 but still occasionally see Irving as he lives n Wadsley.

I forgot to mention that Julian Hunt from our year sadly died aged only 54 in 2003. He was at Malin Bridge Junior with me, along with Victor Edy (now in Skipton) and Melville Norton.

What a long time ago it all was!

4 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi - I'm not familiar with MyHeritage but apart from subscription sites there are the General Register Office online indexes, also freebmd etc. and the sheffieldindexers site, also the Probate Registry which can be useful for exact dates of death.  In the past I have subscribed to Ancestry and findmypast.co.uk. A few years ago my Ancestry subscription went up  by a factor of 3+, and since then I have used findmypast which I find has just about everything  I need. Like Ancestry it has its own facility for building a family tree, importing photos to the tree etc,, and there are also other family tree software packages available.

Message me if you need any help with any particular aspect of your tree.

In fact it's surprising what you can find out about your forebears, Apart from learning that I am descended from the Emperor Charlemagne  (I almost began signing letters "Yours imperially" 😄) I was recently researching my Lincolnshire ancestors using findmypast's access to the British Newspaper Archive. I learned a little about their deeds - and misdeeds. See here for example regarding my great-great-great-grandfather Benjamin Betts, from the 'Lincolnshire Chronicle' of 9 April 1852. https://i.postimg.cc/xjz0zTf8/Benjamin-Betts.jpg I hope they didn't put old Ben in the same cell as Martha Burrell.

Thank you. Interesting article :)

Not sure if, when my 'MyHeritage' sub runs out, I lose all access to it, or if it just means I can't add to it anymore. I'll perhaps take a look at those alternatives you mentioned, Thanks again.

9 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes - female Old Edwardians - is nothing sacred?! 😄  Looking at the 1(3) photo on Don's site  I remembered Irving Smith whom  I knew well at school, and then later when we both worked for HSBC in the 1980s+. I took early retirement in 2002 but still occasionally see Irving as he lives n Wadsley.

I forgot to mention that Julian Hunt from our year sadly died aged only 54 in 2003. He was at Malin Bridge Junior with me, along with Victor Edy (now in Skipton) and Melville Norton.

What a long time ago it all was!

Well that forced me into consulting my own  battered class photo of 1 (3)  !!

Kind of you not to mention the lack of Patrick Burns on there !!

Our paths must have crossed in some other year . Was convinced it was the first , though 

I recall  well those names you mention from that photo,  also friends of mine Paul Harrison , Pete Kippax and Robin Hawke .

Do you remember the  farewell assembly where the legendary John ‘ Bols ‘ Cooke played B Bumble and the Stingers and Blueberry Hill on the piano. ?

Tradition breaking stuff like the long hair that had me dragged out in front of assembly one morning 

It virtually touched my ears !!

All great character building stuff and fondly  remembered 

19 hours ago, WarPig said:

Could a family tree website help, as they show other relatives etc, though I think you might need a subscription to view etc?

I noted that responses to your question focus on web sites where you can build your tree and also access records and other people's trees.  Generally, these charge you a subscription.  If, however, your intent was to focus on building and printing your tree (using your own knowledge or free / paid for searches elsewhere), then I have found Legacy pretty good.  It is free and you build your tree on your own PC (it only works on PCs although there may be compatible packages for other devices) and you can search and print from your tree.  There is a modestly priced deluxe add-on that is a one-off fee and that gives a few extra bells and whistles which aren't essential but you might decide you want.

Your legacy tree is on your PC and so is not visible or accessible by others - this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want - but you can export branches of your tree and email them to others if you wish or use them to update an online tree on a subscription site.

There are other similar packages but I have stuck with Legacy for many years now after searching for something suitable.

Hope this helps - oh, and I have no allegiance to Legacy or any other genealogy package. 

• Thanks 1

TWhits, that's useful to now, thank you. 

I was part of the 1964 intake and remember John Ramsden ( taken from us far too early) as we had mock elections at King Edwards whenever there was a general election. Needless to say he represented the Conservatives. Not sure if he won as we had an Independent candidate who possibly stole the show.

I know Owen. He’s my ex. Dated him 2000-2003 while he lived in Manchester. He moved back to Sheffield, lost contact obviously but I recall Ben lived with their Mum Marie. 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2023 at 13:07, CazWhit said:

I know Owen. He’s my ex. Dated him 2000-2003 while he lived in Manchester. He moved back to Sheffield, lost contact obviously but I recall Ben lived with their Mum Marie. 

Thank you - and thanks for joining the forum to make this your first post.