Mouse Eating Bird Food.

I have fed the birds which visit my garden for years. I buy sacks of bird seed from my local pet shop and love to watch them through my window as they swoop down and feed on the seed. However lately I’ve noticed a mouse creeping up out of my shrubs and eating nearly all the bird seed every day . I don’t know what to do to discourage it from stealing the birds seeds. I don’t want to put a mouse trap out for it, as it’s cruel, but I can’t go on buying bird food and having it snatched away before the birds can get to it. Has anyone got any ideas ?

we had a pair of dormice move into one of our nest boxes...

All God's creatures....keep feeding them!

23 minutes ago, smithy266 said:

we had a pair of dormice move into one of our nest boxes...

All God's creatures....keep feeding them!

Yes, but the mouse is stealing every bit of bird seed as soon as I put it out. Think I may have to get one of those bird feeders that you hang up. I’ve had one before but the birds didn’t really take to it.! Can’t win can I ?

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, but the mouse is stealing every bit of bird seed as soon as I put it out. Think I may have to get one of those bird feeders that you hang up. I’ve had one before but the birds didn’t really take to it.! Can’t win can I ?

Pat, sorry, but you do make me smile....

Some of the problems you encounter, what are you like?

Borrow one them Pereguine Falcons on tuther thread.

4 hours ago, pattricia said:

Put out mouse food , that will confuse the varmint and the birds enjoy it too :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Put out mouse food , that will confuse the varmint and the birds enjoy it too :thumbsup:

Good idea Hackey,

She does seem a bit cheesed off.

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Good idea Hackey,

She does seem a bit cheesed off.

You know me Paddy , up there for thinking , down there for dancing 

On 31/05/2022 at 17:18, pattricia said:

I have fed the birds which visit my garden for years. I buy sacks of bird seed from my local pet shop and love to watch them through my window as they swoop down and feed on the seed. However lately I’ve noticed a mouse creeping up out of my shrubs and eating nearly all the bird seed every day . I don’t know what to do to discourage it from stealing the birds seeds. I don’t want to put a mouse trap out for it, as it’s cruel, but I can’t go on buying bird food and having it snatched away before the birds can get to it. Has anyone got any ideas ?

I have had the same problem for a long time Pat and had to move the food so the mouse has to come out into the open which they prefer not to do, so it still feeds, but not as much.

My biggest problem is with sparrow hawks coming and killing my little birdy friends and I have lost birds that were very tame and came to me.

I always put food under wire too so that the pigeons don't steal it as soon as I put it out.

Having said that, hordes of starlings ensure that it's gone within minutes too, so trying to look after little birds is a  permanent battle

On 31/05/2022 at 17:18, pattricia said:

Use to have this problem round aviary, s when i used to breed birds. The only things i found kept mice out was pealed onions. Would have to be done regularly to keep the smell going mice hate the smell of onions. Should not affect birds as they cant smell. Only other thing was when i doubled meshed the aviary, s stopped them altogher. They got in but got stuck with a fat belly lol. Cant see that being any use to you though unless you know there route and they stick to it. That option didn't end well though. 

29 minutes ago, terminator said:

Use to have this problem round aviary, s when i used to breed birds. The only things i found kept mice out was pealed onions. Would have to be done regularly to keep the smell going mice hate the smell of onions. Should not affect birds as they cant smell. Only other thing was when i doubled meshed the aviary, s stopped them altogher. They got in but got stuck with a fat belly lol. Cant see that being any use to you though unless you know there route and they stick to it. That option didn't end well though. 

I like your tip about onions. Did you peel them first or just put them out with their skins on ?

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I like your tip about onions. Did you peel them first or just put them out with their skins on ?

Just chopped them up

Unless you have a liquidiser as well once they been chopped of course. 

1 hour ago, terminator said:

Just chopped them up

Unless you have a liquidiser as well once they been chopped of course. 

Thank you for your advice.