A Question About Amazon.

58 minutes ago, fuddyduddy4 said:

Also have you noticed that when you go to the checkout page,Amazon are now including items that you’ve looked at previously but decided not to buy,very underhand.

I can cope with a degree of honesty but it is the underhand ways that they try and push you as I mentioned above and that often if you type in what you are looking for it brings up all sorts of rubbish that is not related or different brand and models

As I start to fill my basket I get "sponsored products related to.... " so for a TP-Link TL-PA4022PKIT Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit I get a competitor product at 4 times the cost and face masks yes face masks.

It is nearly as bad as Ryanair making sure they have not added things you have to "unadd" on

Can't believe it completed my order and despite thinking I had avoided signing up for Prime ended up getting caught again!!!! Why oh why is is so hard to avoid this

Anyway diaried a note to self to cancel in 28 days before it cost me but this is not the first time I have been caught and it hacks me off

19 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Can't believe it completed my order and despite thinking I had avoided signing up for Prime ended up getting caught again!!!! Why oh why is is so hard to avoid this

Anyway diaried a note to self to cancel in 28 days before it cost me but this is not the first time I have been caught and it hacks me off

Just don't click the big yellow button, just look for the plain looking link, usually involving the word 'No'. But yeah they just assume people won't pay much attention.

1 hour ago, probedb said:

Just don't click the big yellow button, just look for the plain looking link, usually involving the word 'No'. But yeah they just assume people won't pay much attention.

I did not click on the big yellow button but on the one beneath but still ended up getting caught somehow

This is what makes me so anti Amazon and such a great shame that John Lewis closing down as much prefer to shop there in normal times even have helpful sales assistants that know what they are talking about

I've been using Amazon for about 15 years with very few problems :D *touches wood*

I am sure regular users know their way round it is the irregular ones (or first timers) who get caught. For me it is simply annoying as easy enough to cancel  and not nearly as annoying as searching for specific things on the site and having to work your way through numerous "similar" things that you don't want (like searching for 1 tog duvets and finding that they are all jumbled up with 4.5 tog. 10.5 tog duvets and the like)

On 29/03/2021 at 12:55, Bigal1 said:

You should cancel straight away and not wait the 28 days if it's for the 1 month free trial and the same also goes for the regular version which is paid for up front. If it's a mistake then just cancel the item and cancel Prime and as its not been used you will get a refund. You normally get an option to review or cancel the order which lasts a few hours after I believe.

Prime is quite good value for £7.99 a month IMO, although the 1 day deliveries don't always work, it's still good value plus you get all the added stuff on Amazon Prime TV, I've used it for both series of The Orville, and Star Trek Picard and Below Decks, great shows.

19 hours ago, apelike said:

You should cancel straight away and not wait the 28 days if it's for the 1 month free trial and the same also goes for the regular version which is paid for up front. If it's a mistake then just cancel the item and cancel Prime and as its not been used you will get a refund. You normally get an option to review or cancel the order which lasts a few hours after I believe.

Well it is a free trial for one month so why should I cancel it straight away - firstly I do not wish to cancel the order and start again, secondly it is far easier to cancel 28 days later than it is to avoid when you buy and you can set an alert for a reminder (from Amazon) to cancel before you get monthly bills (or as I do to be double sure add a note in my yahoo calendar as well ) and finally there is the advantage of during the trial to purchase the odd small item such as in my case a case for my phone (that triggered the membership) or a waterproof pouch for my kindle

Yes I did have a look at the TV but to be honest I could not be bothered so did not use it

4 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Well it is a free trial for one month so why should I cancel it straight away -

Because it will still carry on for that month regardless and it's easier to do that than remember to do it later.

firstly I do not wish to cancel the order and start again, secondly it is far easier to cancel 28 days later than it is to avoid when you buy and you can set an alert for a reminder (from Amazon) to cancel before you get monthly bills (or as I do to be double sure add a note in my yahoo calendar as well ) and finally there is the advantage of during the trial to purchase the odd small item such as in my case a case for my phone (that triggered the membership) or a waterproof pouch for my kindle

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. If its a free trial like I said then all you need to do is cancel straight away as it will still be available for the month, as above it's easier and saves having to make a reminder. Only cancel it and the order if you have been caught out by the immediate paid membership and have already been charged.

But it's just another option to consider.

Edited by apelike

@Apelike Indeed I may have grasped the wrong end of the stick I was not aware that if I canceled it immediately the free trial would continue regardless  for the rest of the 28 days. If that is the case it would be simpler to do at the time but it is easy enough for me to diary to do it later

Edited by Bigal1