Did you work for The Star in the 70/80's

I wonder if anyone can summarise just who is still around from the old composing room nights gang of the 1970s and early 1980s.

I'm still around! Perf on Telegraph and then the Star from 1984 to 2000

Dad was in the navy and was there at the japanese surrender in singapore. He had a full life and loved the star. He changed technology many times having started out casting pages in lead at the chronicle.

To Redfyre and Sharrovian,

My father,Graham Harris, worked for the Morning Telegraph from the early 70's until it closed in ?84. He worked mostly as a compositor. When it was is turn to have a night off that coincided with collecting his wages he would take us 3 children in and give us a tour of the shop. I remember be could read words backwards as quickly as he could forwards. I remember some of the names mentioned by other readers - Geoffrey Kaye, George Heppenstall. Someone who hasn't had a mention is Alec ???? I also remember someone, who always reminded me of Earnest Borgnine (not sure of the spelling), I think his name was Wally. He had the tips of 2 fingers missing. One of my best memories was when someone asked him if he would like a budgie cage. Dad said yes. It came home 2 days later....with a budgie in it. A few years later he fell for the same thing again.

Sadly Dad isn't with us anymore, he died, of lung cancer, aged 64 (2 weeks before retiring) in 2006.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 22:34 ----------

To Redfyre and Sharrovian,

My father,Graham Harris, worked for the Morning Telegraph from the early 70's until it closed in ?84. He worked mostly as a compositor. When it was is turn to have a night off that coincided with collecting his wages he would take us 3 children in and give us a tour of the shop. I remember be could read words backwards as quickly as he could forwards. I remember some of the names mentioned by other readers - Geoffrey Kaye, George Heppenstall. Someone who hasn't had a mention is Alec ???? I also remember someone, who always reminded me of Earnest Borgnine (not sure of the spelling), I think his name was Wally. He had the tips of 2 fingers missing. One of my best memories was when someone asked him if he would like a budgie cage. Dad said yes. It came home 2 days later....with a budgie in it. A few years later he fell for the same thing again.

Sadly Dad isn't with us anymore, he died, of lung cancer, aged 64 (2 weeks before retiring) in 2006.

Hi, GGH1. I can't remember your dad by name, but I would almost certainly know him by sight. The Ernest Borganine character you mention seems to be to be a big guy called Jock --very pleasant chap. But I could be wrong. Talking of the Composing Room in general, a name that comes to mind among the compositors is George West. Also, there was a lad named Terry, also someone whose name I have now forgotten, but I would say that he had a very young face and was older than he looked --a likeable lad I once (when I first met him)mistook as being single when it turned out he was married with children! Happily, he took my misjudgement in good part.

Edited by Redfyre
corrections

Hi Redfyre,

Dad had a big bushy beard.

Hi GGH1, I'm sorry but I don't remember Graham Harris at all but it is a long time ago, I was made redundant along with nearly 50 other men in 1989.

Does anyone remember Alec Duffy, from Maltby? Dad and Alec used to car share sometimes.

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 20:28 ----------

Is it possible to post pictures?

I play golf with an ex reporter Tom Landles

I didn't work there but i know three ex photographers/darkroom staff....Eric Willoughby,Peter Bromley and Dennis Richmond,Eric left to start a photographic lab,which is still going,(propix/peak imaging)

My mum was Auntie Janet from Junior Star so I spent a lot of time in the office at Hartshead. I recognise some of these names too …. brings a smile reminiscing 🙂 

Hi,

My sister Carol Armstrong used to work there early 70's in the accounts, she used to knock around with 2 lads from display advertising dept, I think they were Mick Laughton and Richard, said they had a right laugh together, used to meet up for a drink at Dove & Rainbow. x   Oooh ! does anyone remember going into the Buccaneer pub under age like me ?

omg !  happy days.

Edited by Isabelle Blue