Running Ubuntu On Windows 10.

Have tried to install Ubuntu alongside windows 10 but when I get to the partition part I do not have an option to run alongside windows. It gives me the option to "do something else" When I click this it then shows me a list with different amounts of space on my main disc. At the bottom of the page is "install now", should I? I have also downloaded and tried linux mint and it is the same with that. Do I or Can I disable the windows boot manager if this is causing the problem?

Edited by Kidorry
Added text.

I cannot get the dual boot option on my P.C. so I will  just use the U.S.B.. Thanks everyone for your help.

Yahoo. Cracked it at last. I have been messing about with this for a couple of weeks now. I went on you tube and saw a person shrink the drive on the P.C. to make room for the install of Linux. Every time I tried to install it before I did not get the option to install inside windows. So I decided to have a go at shrinking the disc size by going on to the disc manager and following the options there. I shrunk the disc to the size recommended and then switched off the P.C. I then put in my U.S.B. with the linux  on and re-set the boot order and to my relief I was then able to install Linux without any trouble. Thanks everyone. You can`t keep us octogenarians down.

You are very lucky, as playing with the partitions in DiskManager like that could potentially result in the loss of all the data on your drive, and would need rebuilding and recovering... 

But, i'm surprised during the Linux install, there wasn't either A) an option to install on the Windows Partition, or B) a Linux Partition Manager that would set up the drive ready to go...

at least / hlad you got it sorted though.. :)

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

You are very lucky, as playing with the partitions in DiskManager like that could potentially result in the loss of all the data on your drive, and would need rebuilding and recovering... 

But, i'm surprised during the Linux install, there wasn't either A) an option to install on the Windows Partition, or B) a Linux Partition Manager that would set up the drive ready to go...

at least / hlad you got it sorted though.. :)

I was tinkering with my old i5 and used a live Linux USB, the interface to install alongside Windows didn't look too friendly to new users (IMO)

Credit where credit's due. Kidorry doesn't like the 'No or can't' words 😉

14 hours ago, zach said:

I was tinkering with my old i5 and used a live Linux USB, the interface to install alongside Windows didn't look too friendly to new users (IMO)

Credit where credit's due. Kidorry doesn't like the 'No or can't' words 😉

I found it was not too difficult because I just followed the Linux tutorial, and, I suppose ignorance is bliss.

Firstly I would not put Ubuntu on any system. They are pushing quite fervently 'snap' packages and have been advised by a Linux user with far more years experience and high-end linux contacts that 'snap' packages are as safe as 'telnet' or 'finger'. Also, Linux Security News website advised a few months back that you make your Windows 10 vulnerable if you utilise the Windows Service for Linux if trying to run Linux within Windows 10. You would be better running Linux inside of Linux using Aqemu and VirtManager (Virtual Machine Manager). It's great to be able to run Windows 7 Pro as a VM with clear desktop display compared to Virtual Box on Linux. I am only using Windows 7 to access a work email box for work requests (I configured my main work email in Evolution without any need to contact IT) - the only thing that is ugly is the Office 365 elements that are installed on it!