Have you heard of these sayings ?

If my mother was trying to concentrate on something and I was wittering on about something, she'd always say "Stop mithering me" - mithering with a long "i" sound to rhyme with "eye".

Would that be mythering then ?

"

Pronounced as in "mythology"? The wonders of English.

What about "Call that hair? I've seen better hair on fourp'ny bacon"

And to a chatterbox child "Tha's got mo-ore rattle than a can o' mabs"

If you didn't put enough effort into something, my father would say "Give it some elbow grease".

Pronounced as in "mythology"? The wonders of English.

What about "Call that hair? I've seen better hair on fourp'ny bacon"

And to a chatterbox child "Tha's got mo-ore rattle than a can o' mabs"

If you didn't put enough effort into something, my father would say "Give it some elbow grease".

no, Jessity, not like "mythology", it's "my" as in "my property".

"Mye-ther-inn"

Clearly my irony got lost in transit up the M1. Look back a few posts and see what I said originally! I know how to pronounce it; I was pointing out that neither my spelling (mithering) nor Grinder's (mythering) definitely indicate the "right" pronunciation to someone who doesn't know.

Edited by Jessity

Hey how about

," If thi brains were gunpowder tha wunt ave enough to blow thi cap off"

Hey how about

," If thi brains were gunpowder tha wunt ave enough to blow thi cap off"

ditto "enuff t' bow thi nose!"

or "If brains were chocolate, y' wunt have enough t' fill a smartie!" ?

That not as green as tha are cabbage looking...

He had eyes like P*s*oils int snow...

When I used to ask my father where mum was, he used to say 'she's run off wi' a black man.'

Hi Desperatedan

I certainly remember goin fer a walk round t'lump - we used to race on our bikes round t'lump as well. I lived in Gleadless then and the 'lump' was from Seagrave Crescent, down the jennel and across the waste land, onto Welwyn Road and then Jaunty Lane and back up Seagrave.

Hi Desperatedan

I certainly remember goin fer a walk round t'lump - we used to race on our bikes round t'lump as well. I lived in Gleadless then and the 'lump' was from Seagrave Crescent, down the jennel and across the waste land, onto Welwyn Road and then Jaunty Lane and back up Seagrave.

hiya where i lived when i was up to the age of 23 we lived on bath st, i suppose these two sayings were just used around that area, .1. just going ont top, meaning just going on broomhall st 2 just goin ort ill, meaning just going over st philips rd, gooin ont rooad,gooin darnt layn, gooin ont end, one neighbour would ask, run ont end tu turtons and fetch us a tin o top mill.

somemore weer gooin ontmooor, gooin darn t town, gooin ont estate, ( manor),gooin tu av a gamu togger ont red rek, are remember concrete cricket pitch opposite grey horse on chester st.

Edited by willybite

Reading these again brought to mind another of my mother's classics, " you're about as much use as a fart in a collander ".

I wonder if that was one she made up herself, and it still doesn't make sense !! :hihi: :hihi:

seems normal to me shaunfl

my mother called me a mardy arse