Have you heard of these sayings ?

Shunt that be Chowint fat ....:hihi:

A wer a bit thin as a kid, abart five stoo-un wet through, and me grandad used to say he'd seen more fat on a chip..:confused:

i guess so

i guess so

It 's funny how hard it is to write dialect in English.

I suppose by rights the nearest you could get to the proper sound would be CHOWE-INT FAT ....

"Chowin "t" fat" never sounds right, Usually we use the "T"on its own for TO THE, like going t town

THE is usualy a tact on "T", as in being "int" town, not in t town and Chowing the fat is just posh Sheffield talk..

Edited by grinder

shesezitintisburraberritis (She says it isn't his but, I bet it is).

Many years ago my mother's friend who was head of an Attercliffe school related a story of when the school nurse came to examine the pupils. One child didn't understand the request, "Open your mouth and put out your tongue" which bemused the child whereupon the child's mother approached the child and said, "Oppen thi gob an' stick thi lolly licker aht", it worked!

Wow! Haven't used that word in years! We used to refer this to Mackenzie Crescent in Burncross

"Docker".

It's a name I seem to have heard when a kid. people used to say they played on the Docker ..

Sounds like a field some where in Sheffield, what was it, where was it and is there more than one ?

"Docker".

It's a name I seem to have heard when a kid. people used to say they played on the Docker ..

Sounds like a field some where in Sheffield, what was it, where was it and is there more than one ?

Pronounced 'ont docka'. It's still there. It's a grassy/wooded area just off Carfield Road at Heeley Green. Girls weren't allowed to go there in the old day ;). There's some memories of it on one of the other Sheffield History threads.

Rubydazzler

Any idea if it's the only one in Sheffield or why it was called that ?

Rubydazzler Any idea if it's the only one in Sheffield or why it was called that ?
It's the only one I've ever heard of, grinder, but have no idea how or why it got the name. I'm not even sure if 'Docker' would be the correct spelling :confused::huh::suspect: As we say 'Brocker Bank' instead of 'Brocco'? It might really be the Docco :)

In my later years I always wondered whether it was some Norse/Viking derivation of a place name?

Rubydazzler

Any idea if it's the only one in Sheffield or why it was called that ?

T'Docker was a mound of shale like material which was heaped up to the left hand side of Carfield Road opposite Hides & Spears, I believe it was from the brick works but, I could be wrong. When we were kids we used to slide down it on tin trays but, we used to get really scruffy so it was no good lying to your mum about where you'd been.

The Docker was built on many years ago, there are several semis there now.

It's the only one I've ever heard of, grinder, but have no idea how or why it got the name. I'm not even sure if 'Docker' would be the correct spelling :confused::huh::suspect: As we say 'Brocker Bank' instead of 'Brocco'? It might really be the Docco :)

In my later years I always wondered whether it was some Norse/Viking derivation of a place name?

hiya can't sa i remember rubydazzler but i do remember BOBBY DAZLER. as for going round the lump, this was used by us kids in 1948 when the london olympics were on the 100 yards was a straight piece of causey, the 200 yards were from the finish to the start of the 100 yards andback to the finish, the mile was once round the lump, 2 miles was twice round the lump and so on, we had long jump,high jump,and one of our own the standing long jump, we weren't ready for the longer races as the shorter ones took it out ar us the lump was thomas lane,on egerton street,up thomas street then on bath street,we were aroiund a day late with the results unless your family had a wireless then they say the good old days ??????? i remember too well i was 10 in 1948.

Edited by willybite

T'Docker was a mound of shale like material which was heaped up to the left hand side of Carfield Road opposite Hides & Spears, I believe it was from the brick works but, I could be wrong. When we were kids we used to slide down it on tin trays but, we used to get really scruffy so it was no good lying to your mum about where you'd been.

The Docker was built on many years ago, there are several semis there now.

There was still a bit of it behind the houses. until a few years ago anyway although istr that a planning application was put in to build on it.

Any idea why it was called t'docker?