Failed minimum wage?

Did you work full time and did it pay for £9000 a year tuition fees? (That's before we consider the cost of living isn't it).

Would the part time work even have paid for the living costs, which I guess is more relevant since you're arguing that it shouldn't be included in the student debt.

What are the living costs for a student in Sheffield these days?

IMO living at home is sort of missing the point of university. For example, I could have lived at home and gone to Sheffield Uni, the daily commute of probably 2 hrs would have been a massive impediment to actually engaging meaningfully in student life though, not to mention that I wouldn't have learnt any of the skills of self reliance that I did.

---------- Post added 23-08-2018 at 10:01 ----------

University accomodation in Sheffield, includes all bills

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/fees/2018/living-costs-budgets

£5000 for the year, give or take.

Then you've got to eat, drink and be merry. You'll need some transport now and again, and maybe the odd item of clothing.

but such things as food and toiletries may cost you an average of £35 per week (£1,820 per year). On top of this there are your mobile phone charges, TV licence, laundry costs and general study expenses (stationery, books, etc).

Cheap mobile, £120/year, TV license split between a group, £35, laundry (no idea on this one, lets say a minimal £20), stationary and books, well books can be pricey, but lets be generous and say only £100.

£2100 on top of the £5k accommodation. So £7100 a year.

To cover that on minimum wage for an 18 year old (in a 42 week term) would mean working 28 hrs a week... Not really practical if you've got to study as well.

You almost made it through a post without being insulting, but then you failed and insulted about half of the people who use the forum.

---------- Post added 23-08-2018 at 08:52 ----------

Fairly sure that they didn't work full time and that the pay for that work didn't cover the cost of being at university though, right?

It covered their living expenses......which is the point of Anna's I was responding to... but of course you probably know what my kids did more than I do... :rolleyes:

Of course I don't, that's why I'm asking.

How did it cover there living costs, you can see the example for Sheffield, living costs of approx 7k/annum. Are your kids a good example, in that they were at university recently? Did they find particularly well paid work, or did they work for 20 - 30 hrs a week plus study time?

Of course I don't, that's why I'm asking.

How did it cover there living costs, you can see the example for Sheffield, living costs of approx 7k/annum. Are your kids a good example, in that they were at university recently? Did they find particularly well paid work, or did they work for 20 - 30 hrs a week plus study time?

They weren't on minimum wage for a start....I'm not going into forensic detail about their circumstances,it's enough that they supported themselves while living away at uni..just shows i'ts possible

I appreciate not going into forensic detail, but you've not said whether it was recent or not.

I worked when I was at uni, I hardly think it's relevant though as it was approaching 20 years ago. Nor was a holiday job at McDonalds going to support me. I got a small grant and sufficient from my parents to keep body and soul together. My holiday work and overdraft paid for drinking and having fun.

I appreciate not going into forensic detail, but you've not said whether it was recent or not.

I worked when I was at uni, I hardly think it's relevant though as it was approaching 20 years ago. Nor was a holiday job at McDonalds going to support me. I got a small grant and sufficient from my parents to keep body and soul together. My holiday work and overdraft paid for drinking and having fun.

About 5 years ago...

About 5 years ago...

Well, it's much more recent than my own anecdote :)

I'm still kind of interested in how many hours they worked in order to earn what must have been in the 6k region (5 years ago wasn't much if any cheaper than today).

They weren't on minimum wage for a start....I'm not going into forensic detail about their circumstances,it's enough that they supported themselves while living away at uni..just shows i'ts possible

I think it also depends on the course you're on and how many hours are timetabled. For instance when I did my degree we were timetabled for 25 hours a week of lectures and seminars, then had to do things like periods in schools and teaching practice, write essays etc and study, (we were actually told not to get jobs as it would interfere with our studies and they were right.)

Whereas some of the art students, for example, barely turned up at all except for Art history. That doesn't mean they weren't in college or working on projects at home, they just didn't have to attend many lectures.

That also brings up an interesting point I'd never thought of - Would an art student for example, pay the same for a course with less actual tuition, than another student on a different course with more intensive input?

Anybody know?

Edited by Anna B

Most courses charge the full amount AFAIK, it's caused some protesting from students with less contact time.