James Bulger's Dad Wants Killers' New Identity Taken Away

I'd much rather see a good citizen come out after two years than a criminal out after ten. That's not going to win any votes though.

"Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" said Tony Blair, before increasing the prison population and producing more criminals than before.

But are the photos that are been shared on FB actually him. Last thing we need is a case of mistaken identity and someone getting seriously hurt because a lynch mob sees someone that looks similar to the person in the FB posts.

Ive seen a link on facebook this morning with the headline stating that 'Venables is now the most wanted man in prison' or something along those lines.

There was the photo of him as a child and one of a grown man.

Against my better judgement I clicked the link and read the article, and NOWHERE did it state that the grown man in the photo at the top of the page was actually Ralph Bulger, James' father.

Ive seen a link on facebook this morning with the headline stating that 'Venables is now the most wanted man in prison' or something along those lines.

There was the photo of him as a child and one of a grown man.

Against my better judgement I clicked the link and read the article, and NOWHERE did it state that the grown man in the photo at the top of the page was actually Ralph Bulger, James' father.

You're right.

In the interview with Denise Fergus, it seemed that Robert Thompson was the main perpetrator, and yet he hasn't been heard of since.

My brother was a prison officer up to a couple of years ago.

He says its easy to work out who's who, and why they're in.

Obviously someone in for 40 months, and he'll be in segregation anyway.

He's in the big boys jail now and his crimes are not going to win him friends.

He could live next door to any of us on release and we wouldn't know.

Edited by woggle

As for Venables, whilst I'm not a violent person, I see no reason whatsoever not to re-introduce the death penalty for this thing. I would say vermin, but that would be harsh on vermin. Utter filth, and deserves the rope.

The strength of our legal system is that someone can commit a crime and be punished according to the law in force at the time. We may not agree with the decision, but we have to abide by the law.

To bring back the death penalty and hang a murderer could only apply in the case of future murders.

The law lays down specific tariffs for crimes. These are respected by the judiciary. We may not agree with the sentences handed down, but there are set guidelines. To suggest otherwise could send us down a dangerous path.

The original decision, reached in a court of law, was that anonymity should be granted. Whether this is a good idea is immaterial, it's what the law dictated. It was lifetime anonymity, not anonymity for just thirty years.

There is a danger that someone will see a picture circulating on the internet and jump to the conclusion that the picture is of a public enemy figure.

You can send a postcard to Dennis Alan, but you might be in danger of sending it to someone who looks like him.

[NOTE to Mods - Dennis Alan is NOT the new identity of Venables]