Sainburys Archer Road...Horrible member of staff!

I saw something really similar in Somerfield in Broomhill a few months ago. A woman who I think had learning difficulties served me. When I asked her if there were any toilets in the store she told me there weren't and then went on to give me (admittedly a rather long-winded) explanation of how to get to the pub across the road and where I'd find the loos in there. At this point another member of staff came over and started chastising her in a VERY patronising way about wasting the customers' time. I tried to explain to the other member of staff that I had asked this woman a question but she was so busy being vile to and taking the p**s out of the woman that she just ignored me. The second woman then rejoined her friend and they started quite clearly laughing and talking about the woman well within our hearing range. I wish I'd done something about it at the time but I was so shocked and horrified that anyone could treat another human being in this way I was just speechless.

I agree the disabled part does buy a bit more sympathy but regardless of that no manager worth their salt should crush a staffs confidence like that infront of a customer.

not sure about "buying sympathy" but I agree that the disability is irrelevant here

Obviously she's the one with the "learning disability"

Thumbs up for reporting her little boo i would do the same.

But why do the british public stand for this?

How many of us would go home and think why on earth didn't i say something to this woman at the time!!

Food for thought

Obviously she's the one with the "learning disability"

Thumbs up for reporting her little boo i would do the same.

But why do the british public stand for this?

How many of us would go home and think why on earth didn't i say something to this woman at the time!!

Food for thought

Yeah, I must say, I was so angry with myself for not speaking up at the time... but I was absolutely astounded that someone could be so rude!!

I've experienced incidents like this from my time on the checkouts at Sainsbury's on The Moor. There was one supervisor who I'm sure must have been a schizophrenic, some days she was on top of the world and other days she was as miserable as anything. I remember once when I was trying to put some fruit and veg through the till, but the stickers must have fallen off so I couldn't put the codes in. She tried to make it was my fault and asked next time if I could ask another staff member to help me etc. All the customers in the queue were shocked and told me how rude they thought she was. :mad:

Here's the result!!!

Dear Mrs ******

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that one of my colleagues spoke to another colleague in a demeaning way in our Archer Road store. I can fully appreciate your concerns.

Please be assured that it is certainly not our intention to discriminate against any of our colleagues, or customers. 'Respect for the Individual' is one of our values and we are committed to putting that into practice. We have practices in place to ensure equality and diversity among our colleagues, so I am sorry to hear of your experiences.

I have forwarded a copy of your email on to Phil Ronan, the store manager at Archer Road. I know he will look into this and speak to his colleagues to ensure this does not happen again.

In the meantime, we do have a lot of information on our corporate website about our equal opportunity policies. You can view them by visiting http://www.jsainsburys.co.uk, or by clicking on the link below.

http://www.j-sainsbury.com/files/reports/cr2005/index.asp?pageid=37

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and giving us a chance to prevent this happening again. I hope your future experiences are much more enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Ellen Nightingale

Sainsbury's Customer Services

Archived