Japanese eye rich pickings from UK with PS3

Also, what's the point of doing Hi Definition gaming now, when nobody can afford a HD telly to play it all on?! :loopy:

Sure the world and its wife are buying HD TVs now for the World Cup, but once that's all over the novelty will wear off.

An interesting point, but only in the context of Sony not ripping people off by making the PS3 HD compatible.

If they really wanted to rip people off, they would have released the PS3 without HD capabilities, and then released an updated version in a year or twos time.

Do you see?

EDIT: November cannot come quickly enough for me either.

What nobody seems to mention thought is that games for the ps3 will be £70-80!!!!!!!:hihi: By the time it comes out xbox will be £200 for a premium so for the same price you can buy a revolution and xbox with £25-75 to spare and not get shafted on games. Also if people don't buy into blu-ray there will be a lot of people out there who have paid £425 for a worthless piece of plastic!!!. Finally given that sony aims to shift 2'500'000(I think that was the figure) in first year they may hit a bit a snag...they are losing $100 on each machine but 2'500'000 x $100 is $250'000'000 or to put it another way, sony's profits for last year :D . Also the ps3 has been shown to be no prettier in terms of graphics than xbox. With all this against it (plus the major failure and lost investment in UMD) The PS3 could be the thing that finally kills off sony for good!

• 4 weeks later...

qUOTE=

DFC Intelligence says Sony could "easily go from first to worst"; thinks brand strength, market position can't overcome $600 price.

In the next-gen console race, there are three main competitors: Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. While many would love to see someone come out with some sort of "Everybody is a winner, hooray!" scenario, the simple truth is one company is going to be declared the loser. Though the finish line is still far down the road, industry analysts are already predicting who will break the tape and who will bring up the rear.

Sony has clearly been the favorite in recent years thanks to the unparalleled success of its PlayStation and PlayStation 2, but one analyst firm believes that the company may tumble down from the top of the heap. In a memo sent out today, San Diego-based DFC Intelligence explained how Sony could go from first to worst.

Though the memo contains the disclaimer that the prediction is "only one of several possible scenarios," DFC appears to be leaning towards Microsoft and Nintendo coming out on top through the next generation.

The main reason DFC sees a slide for Sony is the $600 price tag on the high-end version of the PlayStation 3. Though Sony has touted the machine as inexpensive relative to the hardware contained within it, DFC doesn't think consumers will see it that way.

"Sony has done very little to justify why the system is worth a premium price for consumers that don't care about raw hardware performance and are not hard-core audio/visual consumers," DFC said. "Unfortunately we believe that represents over 90% of the consumers in the marketplace."

DFC recognizes that software plays a large part in buyers' decisions, and points out that the PS2 was so successful because of its diverse portfolio of games and large third-party support. The broad range of software made the PS2 "a complete entertainment system for the family priced under $300," said DFC.

"With the PlayStation 3 the company is going after the high-end power user. It is almost as if Coca-Cola not only decided to go with a new formula, but also decided to exit the low-brow soft-drink business to go into high-end wines," DFC explains. "Of course, there is a market for high-end products but it is 1) a very different consumer type and 2) not nearly as big as the blue collar mass market. Wal-Mart sells more toys than FAO Schwartz and McDonald's sells more beef than Ruth's Chris Steak House."

There doesn't seem to be much of an easy way to right the ship, either. According to DFC, Sony may have drastically underestimated the competition and will have a lot of trouble cutting the price, particularly in time for the critical 2007 holiday season.

"A $600 price point is okay for launch but it will not fly in holiday 2007. If Sony wants to drive unit volume 2007 needs to be not only the year of price cuts, but the year of drastic price cuts. There is going to be a shakeup in the video game industry and even if Sony executes perfectly there could be a new market leader in two years."

Source=Gamespot

What nobody seems to mention thought is that games for the ps3 will be £70-80!!!!!!!:hihi: By the time it comes out xbox will be £200 for a premium so for the same price you can buy a revolution and xbox with £25-75 to spare and not get shafted on games. Also if people don't buy into blu-ray there will be a lot of people out there who have paid £425 for a worthless piece of plastic!!!. Finally given that sony aims to shift 2'500'000(I think that was the figure) in first year they may hit a bit a snag...they are losing $100 on each machine but 2'500'000 x $100 is $250'000'000 or to put it another way, sony's profits for last year :D . Also the ps3 has been shown to be no prettier in terms of graphics than xbox. With all this against it (plus the major failure and lost investment in UMD) The PS3 could be the thing that finally kills off sony for good!

Games 70-80 quid??? Phew...good job I am buying them from Play who have the games listed at £49.99 (rrp)!! Perhaps that is why no-one is mentioning the price?

It seems you have already decided that blu-ray is dead....before it is even here. With all the main studios supporting the format with releases (and not forgetting Sony's ownership of MGM meaning that they themselves have a wealth of classics to use to draw people to the format), it is unknown yet who will win in the format wars.

No major surprise that they are going to make a huge loss of the consoles...this is the norm with all consoles.

Yes the X-Box 360 will be quite cheap when the PS3 comes out....but I am not bothered with X-Box. As stated previously I have a X-Box console which sits gathering dust more and more through non-use (not plugged it in for a year now), whilst my PS2 gets regular use. Microsoft's machine didn't impress me that much, so I am not excited about the 360.

The Wii intrigues me...but from a retro gaming point of view only. I couldn't care less about what new updates to Mario or Zelda will be spawned on the machine...but the archive of classic games piqued my interest. That will be on my 'next year' buy list.

At the end of the day I want a blu-ray system at home and may as well combine it with a gaming platform that I have faith in. I did exactly the same when the PS2 came out (I had no DVD player then).

I'll stick with my PS2 and GT4. :hihi:

Had an X360 about 6-7mths and barely even play on it, it takes a good 1-2yr before really decent games start to appear on any new console.

Ah, the GT series of games. Gotta love 'em.

• 4 weeks later...
The Wii intrigues me...but from a retro gaming point of view only. I couldn't care less about what new updates to Mario or Zelda will be spawned on the machine...

At the end of the day I want a blu-ray system at home and may as well combine it with a gaming platform that I have faith in. I did exactly the same when the PS2 came out (I had no DVD player then).

How can the wii intrigue you from a retro point of view only when you know what these games are like - how can that be intriguing? I think secretly you are just intrigued by the wii's games and capabilities and you probably will buy one. I like a lot games and have been a gamer for 22years I've owned own loads of sytems but to me nintendo are always original and make some of the highest quality games and control systems. that's why they always end up getting copied i.e

*snes pad layout - PS pad used similar layout

*analogue stick on Joypad N64 - PS pad added analogue stick

*super mario - CRAP bandicoot

*mario kart - Crap badicoot nitro testicles

*brain training - Some w*nk on the PSPlease thats nowhere near as good

*wii controller - Sony top man:-"quck shove a motion sensor in that pad which we copied off the snes- it'll be no where near as good as the wii but hey some gamers won't know"

*the list goes on

Back to the point

basically nobody will be buying HDdvds/bluRay movies for a long time

when PS2 came out DVDs were well established and had a lot of movies on offer it aint the same with PS3 and Bluray. I think if people had the choice (which they don't cos sony wants blyRay forced in peoples bodies and minds) they'd rather buy a PS3 without BluRay at a cheaper price (I know I would!)

fair dos tho some people will buy one *cough* SOME PEOPLE

Anyway good luck sony you've had your day on the console market which you broke thru with the PSone (funnily enough which nintendo developed with you remember - snesCD), it was great, everyone had a chipped one games were ten a penny and average but every now and then there'd be one worth playing in the floods of gaming sewage. ahhh but now Nintendo has returned learning from it's mistakes in marketing, now attracting a more mature crowd and will most probably be king yet again - DS has outsold PSPs the world over UMD is dead already .. thanks for calling.

Anyway good luck sony you've had your day on the console market which you broke thru with the PSone (funnily enough which nintendo developed with you remember - snesCD)

First up...the retro aspect intrigues me as they are doing the online retro gaming service which allows you to download all Nintendos back catalogue of games to play (and Sega are dropping some of their hottest old titles into the mix too). How this will work, what the subscription is, and whether we really will have access to ALL the games (including those never released on these shores) is what intrigues me. I couldn't give a toss about fancy controllers and the like. None of the Wii's release titles excite me. As for "I think secretly you are just intrigued by the wii's games and capabilities and you probably will buy one."....I've never said I won't get one. In fact I aim to pick one up next year. This year, however, my money is saved up for the PS3.

Anyway good luck sony you've had your day on the console market which you broke thru with the PSone (funnily enough which nintendo developed with you remember - snesCD)

Not quite the full story though. Nintendo asked Sony to design a new console....Sony showed them a CD based engine....Nintendo laughed and asked "Who wants CD's? Cartridge is how you do games!" and sent Sony packing. Sony then decided to launch the console themselves.

I'm glad that Nintendo are looking set to get their reputation as a console worth getting back. It would be a shame to see them go the way of the Sega. However, don't rule Sony out as dead just because you are not interested in their new product. I plan to buy Blu Ray movies asap (love my films), so need a Blu Ray drive to play them....enter PS3. I can also part exchange my PS2 towards the cost as the PS3 will play all my titles (no piracy here - all originals).

Not quite the full story though. Nintendo asked Sony to design a new console....Sony showed them a CD based engine....Nintendo laughed and asked "Who wants CD's? Cartridge is how you do games!" and sent Sony packing. Sony then decided to launch the console themselves.

Yeah that's the full story but nintendo didn't say "who wants CDs" they just were worried about the Priacy side of it which they were right to be but at their loss because as you say sony went on to release it themselves - sure enough piracy happened and sure enough the cartridge became too much of a risk for developers to make games on because of the cost.

Sorry I misunderstood you on the intrigue side, I Just can't believe that none of the wii titles interest you, and it's not just 'a fancy contoller' its a new way of controlling and a very intutive one - you're telling me red steel doesn't interest you? sheeeeeeeet i'm shocked. Zelda and mario don't interest you either sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

In reply to beakerzoids "blah blah ps3 will play all my titles(no piracy here - all originals).

dude, they may be actual retail products.. but they aint never been ORIGINAL. (NO ENGLISH GRAMMATICAL CORRECTIONS PLEASE).

My argument about the ps3, xb360 is, what about the systems is incredible? and Im not talking processing speeds, power and all that nonsense that, to be honest i dont have a clue about, what i mean is. Can you tell me one thing about them that has actually made you go "wow...now thats awesome, ive never seen that before.." and please dont come back with "oooh the graphics are amazing.." cos as far as im concerned if its practically the same game you been playin on your ps2/ xbox for the last few years but ooh theres a little bit more definition in the building in the background that you cant get too anyway, then i ask you. Whats the point. You can put lipstick on a moose but at the end of the day it just a moose in your favourite rouge.