Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

My parents and grandparents couldn't afford to buy a house...thety rented all their lives..

The same opportunity, nobody mentioned a guarantee.

Oh, and you're not a millennial are you, so in the context of my statement you're in the "parent zone". (As am I, having bought our first house in 2001).

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 08:20 ----------

Owning a home is like owning a Rolls Royce, not everyone gets to do it.

It's more like owning a Fiesta though isn't it. For generations people have been given the expectation that they could do it. But suddenly all cars, fiestas included have increased in price beyond the reach of the latest generation, whilst the previous generations often own several, which they'll rent out to the younger generation for a hefty fee.

The same opportunity, nobody mentioned a guarantee.

Oh, and you're not a millennial are you, so in the context of my statement you're in the "parent zone". (As am I, having bought our first house in 2001).

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 08:20 ----------

It's more like owning a Fiesta though isn't it. For generations people have been given the expectation that they could do it. But suddenly all cars, fiestas included have increased in price beyond the reach of the latest generation, whilst the previous generations often own several, which they'll rent out to the younger generation for a hefty fee.

A 10 year old Fiesta is a functional car. Just like a new Rolls.

A terrace in Killamarsh is a functional house. Just like a semi in Dore.

Different budgets, different choices.

Thanks for underlining the analogy.

Guest makapaka
My parents and grandparents couldn't afford to buy a house...thety rented all their lives..

Was it a council house?

Guest makapaka
" Should there be a ban on buying more than one property "

No.

Angel1.

Why’s that?

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 11:04 ----------

In that case then why don't you think "today's generation" have the same opportunity my parents did?

Because there is less opportunity because houses price increases are outstripping wage increases.

It’s a fact that people are just denying for some reason and saying it’s because young people have too much expectation of what they should be able to buy. The same people saying this are also seemingly oblivious to the fact that people owning more than one house in an already limited housing stock does not contribute to this issue.

Why’s that?

For a start there would need to be a divestment law that appropriated legally held property, and a law that treats a couple as a single legal entity. Otherwise your idea would mean that only couples could own more than one property. We got rid of all that married man's allowance years ago.