Lower benefits cap

Well there's the obvious prescriptions, and various other free medical stuff like dentistry. Then there's the free school related stuff for the kids that the rest of us have to pay for, for example dinners.

It all add up wouldn't you say.

Here's some really big ones if you're thinking of arguing:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grants-low-income

Your link on the face of it is a treasure trove of free stuff for the feckless. In reality most people on benefits or in work but on a low income,wouldn't pass the strict criteria and conditions you need to qualify for the grants.

Your link on the face of it is a treasure trove of free stuff for the feckless. In reality most people on benefits or in work but on a low income,wouldn't pass the strict criteria and conditions you need to qualify for the grants.

Maybe.

And all the free medical and school related stuff?

Has anyone mentioned that sadly benefits can be the only reliable, regular source of income?

With 0 hours, short term contracts, and our 'gig' economy, I don't know how people manage to budget, not knowing how much money they'll have coming in from one week to the next.

Getting work like this is often the worst option and the quickest way into difficulties and debts which spiral out of control. The bills keep coming in constantly, but not the work. It's not as if this sort of work leads to more regular employment these days. For some, regular employment is a thing of the past, and they are trapped in this impossible cycle.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this.

People on zero hour contracts are actually marginally happier with their jobs than the average of employed people in the UK.

65% of people on zero-hours workers were either very satisfied or satisfied with their jobs, compared with 63 per cent for all employees. I would imagine this is because zero hour contracts allow flexibility. People on zero hour contracts tend to be either quite young or quite old, as these are people who benefit most from flexible working hours.

Also, only a very small percentage of people are actually on zero hour contracts (2.3% of workers in 2014). Whilst that figure is higher than the average of under 1% between 2000 and 2012, it is thought that the increase of people saying that they are on zero hour contracts may largely be because of raised public awareness and not necessarily an actual increase in actual numbers.

I do agree that there is a problem when people are hired on zero hour contracts when there would be no real reason why they shouldn't be on a different type of contract (e.g. Sport's Direct).

I also think that exclusivity contracts are wrong, but then they have been recently banned by the government have they not?

https://fullfact.org/economy/facts-about-zero-hour-contracts/

I disagree that it's becoming more prevailant but I do agree it's a problem. If I was on benefits and I was guaranteed a months work, would I take it? Probably not if I'm honest. I'm waiting for wages then I'm waiting weeks (and weeks in some cases) to get my benefits back on track. And that's before you take tax credits etc into the mix. Hence my post about more flexible benefits.

or just not a totally useless system?

It does take ages to get even the most simple thing done, and there's always a good chance it'll be totally cocked up anyway meaning you'll need to start over again waiting several more weeks.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 14:22 ----------

I do agree that there is a problem when people are hired on zero hour contracts when there would be no real reason why they shouldn't be on a different type of contract (e.g. Sport's Direct).

There's also issues with companies abusing the self-employed, Uber have recently been in the news for doing this but it's well known that small retailers are very bad for it too.

Maybe.

And all the free medical and school related stuff?

The free medical and school stuff is of course available to people in work on a low income. All children under 18 qualify for free dentistry, most people on benefits don't need glasses and when my friends school changed uniform last summer everyone was given the new uniform for free. Yes the stuff is there and does add up but its financial benefits are vastly overrated.

The free medical and school stuff is of course available to people in work on a low income. All children under 18 qualify for free dentistry, most people on benefits don't need glasses and when my friends school changed uniform last summer everyone was given the new uniform for free. Yes the stuff is there and does add up but its financial benefits are vastly overrated.

An rare exception may have been made when the school changed its uniform. That's irrelevant.

In fact all of this response is nonsense. You haven't countered anything. You've just made some irrelevant but similar sounding points about how the country operates.

Sorry it appeares Iv logged into the wrong site I was looking for Sheffield Forum but logged into Sheffield Tory Forum.

Labour supported lowering the benefit cap. They might say they oppose it now, but they supported it in the commons when it really mattered.