Did Ansell's brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

As for Hammond ales in Sheffield. The old Mulberry Tavern in the 60s. Was one. Very good pintl

As for Hammond ales in Sheffield. The old Mulberry Tavern in the 60s. Was one. Very good pintl

Really ! Was the old Mulberry Tavern- a regular mid-sixties haunt of mine- a 'Hammond's' place ? I never took notice of the house beer (I was 18-19) and they had 'Watney's Red Barrel'. Bill Nolan landlord then.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Two Chesterfield ones left at that time were Brampton Bry , Chatsworth Road ,taken over by Warwick and Richardson (Newark) in 1955.

Scarsdale Bry, Spa Lane...taken over by Whitbread in 1958.

Hammonds Sauce was Bradford (had to Google it )

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/localbrad/9009389.Recipes_to_relish_go_under_hammer/

---------- Post added 04-07-2016 at 00:05 ----------

Hi Tony...I'm certainly not going to say they didn't sell it...the answer is I don't know...but in this this thread

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9947102

Lazarus describes the Hammonds logo perfectly ....however stranger things have happened..in the 19th c. a brewery in Conisbrough had two pubs..one in Conisbrough and the other at Runswick Bay near Whitby!!

As to the 'brewed in Sheffield' connection...Higsons were taken over by Boddingtons in the mid 1980's...Boddingtons then sold it to Whitbreads who closed the brewery around 1990..but continued having beer of the same name produced at some of Whitbreads other breweries..the Sheffield brewery (formerly Tennant Bros.) on Ladysbridge was one of those.

Ah the Ladysbridge brewery, I can still smell the hops lol

Ah the Ladysbridge brewery, I can still smell the hops lol

To be fair Mr.T. Tennant's (Exchange Brewery) wasn't the only 'Hop smelling' place in the Lady's Bridge area, as Duncan Gilmour's was directly opposite on Bridge Street.

Talking about Duncan Gilmour's...my father in law worked in one of the Cutlery works...he used to go to Gilmours with a wheelbarrow and was given yeast which they covered the blades with prior to putting them in the fire.

Very few pubs sold 'mild' in Sheffield.

The Broughton Inn did- could it have been Ansell's?

I am pretty sure Stones had a dark mild in the early 60's, but don't know if it was in every Stones pub. My first pub was the Atlas in Brinsworth and it was a free house, which was a rarity in those days. They definitely had a dark mild, and I do believe it was Stones.

Going from memory it was originally a Duncan Gilmour pub....they were taken over by Tetleys in the 50's....Tetleys did a dark mild that I remember being sold in Sheffield at one of the two pubs on the corner of The Wicker/Nursery St...Black or White Swan I think.

Going from memory it was originally a Duncan Gilmour pub....they were taken over by Tetleys in the 50's....Tetleys did a dark mild that I remember being sold in Sheffield at one of the two pubs on the corner of The Wicker/Nursery St...Black or White Swan I think.

The pub at the corner of Nursery Street and the Wicker was the 'Lion Hotel' -a Tetley's pub- with the "White Lion' (also Tetley's) further along the Wicker with the 'Big Gun' in between them.

That's right!!...one sold handpulled beer..the other didn't...in the mid 70's anyway.

That's right!!...one sold handpulled beer..the other didn't...in the mid 70's anyway.

Thank you and yes the 'Broughton Inn' (Broughton Lane-Attercliffe Common) was a Tetley's pub.

Yes, 'Home Ales' (dreadful) .Another brewery that had only one pub in Sheffield, 'William Younger's' (Newcastle) that being the 'Claymore' (Arundel Gate), tho' the 'Cavendish Club' sold it and the were owned by the Bailey organisation who were from Tyneside anyway, A few other place you could get "Younger's' and 'Scottish and Newcastle Ales' were 'free houses', the 'Big Gun' (Wicker) and a place near Norton water tower (name I forget.) being two.

The Nailmakers , actually come to think off it was it not owned by Scottish & Newcastle. Also the nearby Bagshawe Arms was the only Yates Wine Lodge that I remember in Sheffield although there were plenty in Greater Manchester /Lancashire wondering which brewery they were affiliated to ?