Auto Enrolment - Help Please

How many employees? What payroll system are you using?

It's less about payroll (we outsource), it's more to do with the options. For example, can we pay contributions into personal plans or do we have to pay into plans pre approved by the State?

By 'we' I mean the employee and the company.

Edited by steveroberts
typo

It's less about payroll (we outsource), it's more to do with the options. For example, can we pay contributions into personal plans or do we have to pay into plans pre approved by the State?

You can pay into either personal plans or NEST.

Practically companies may want to use one single pension provider to pay into, and the advantage of this is that if you chose the correct provider they can organise the assessments and letters etc.

I'm not sure what added complications outsourcing your payroll might add to this (I've never been a fan of outsourcing payroll). However, it sounds like you want pension advice more than you want enrolment advice.

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to advise of an advisor. :)

For example, can we pay contributions into personal plans or do we have to pay into plans pre approved by the State?
Based on our existing setup (implemented pre-compliance for peace of mind), then per milquetoast1 above, you can do both as a company: contributions into personal plans or NESTs.

My company pays into my PP and into a NEST for employees without PPs.

Employees are also free to pay extra in either: employees with a personal plan expectedly already do (the compliance-driven employer contribution is just added on top; was added to my own); employees enrolled into a NEST (organised or facilitated by company in respect of compliance) can elect to pay more than the employer contribution.

Maybe start with a chat to SCCI, if you're a member?

Edited by L00b

What L00b said.

Also, if the company decides to make contributions into Royal Provincial Standard Whatever then it doesn't prevent you adding more contributions, or transferring other pensions into it for convenience. It's yours to do with what you want.

The company can also choose to make higher contributions for different employees, as long as the minimum is no less than legislated.

There can be quite a bit of flexibility, but are an onerous pain to set up initially.

Out of interest (and going slightly of topic), will companies be required to make contributions from now on. My OH works for an SME, she has a personal pension scheme, but the company makes no contribution to it.

If it's an SME with fewer than 30 employees the staging date might be April next year.

If it's an SME with fewer than 30 employees the staging date might be April next year.

Mines August this year. A friends is October.

I'd ask someone, although part of the whole autoenrolment palava involves letters going out to employees advising what's going so they will find out eventually.

---------- Post added 20-04-2016 at 18:39 ----------

Out of interest (and going slightly of topic), will companies be required to make contributions from now on. My OH works for an SME, she has a personal pension scheme, but the company makes no contribution to it.

Depends. It may well be a case that the personal pension runs along side it. I don't think a NEST scheme will let you bring in other pensions if I read it right.