Sheffield's cream and blue buses

Hi! oldtimer, no, I didn't know Alf, 1965 was before my time on the transport, I was made an inspector in 1973, now I live in Scarborough and am enjoying doing B---all.

The current project is building a model railway in the loft, who say's playtime is over, yippee!!

Not much has changed for you then, is it norman v. ?

Am I right in thinkingg that the name of either I or T Humpidge, General Manager, appeared under the crest on the blue and cream buses? It is such a long time ago. Showing my age now.

I seem to remember the name R C Moore, Director of Transport appearing underneath the crest

I seem to remember the name R C Moore, Director of Transport appearing underneath the crest

R.C Moore was general Manager Sheffield Transport Department until retirement his replacement was C.T. Humpidge who was later to oversee the transition to South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in 1970.

• 3 weeks later...

a couple of these are parked at olive grove depot, if any one wants to go and see them, you could look over the fence onto the top yard or sign in as a visitor/ask to go and have a look.

In the 50's, some of the King Teds lads used to 'bus spot'. Most of the buses were either Leyland or AEC. Some of the older, no doubt pre-war models used on, e.g. the inner circular route, were Guy (I think), Crossley (I think) and definitely Daimler.

The comment about jumping on and off backloaders while on the move brings a smile to my face, platform accidents used to take up a lot of conductors time, someone was always misjudging the speed of a bus when they attempted some impossible move. I can well remember a man grabbing the rear pole of my bus when it was just starting off, he fell flat on his face but refused to let go of the pole, after being dragged horizontal for a few yards he was assisted on to the bus with two big holes in his trouser knees, pride refused to let him admit his knees were pretty sore, and he refused any medical help.

This sort of incident was very common, some had endings that were quite serious, and others quite funny.

I was driving a front loader Atlantean from Townhead St depot to Angel Street for the 11:15 or 11:45 to Ecclesall, I forget which. There was a member of staff on the front and he wanted me to drop him off outside Boots so that he could run up to the Cutlers Hall and catch the 52 to Crookes.

The whistle blew for the 'off' and I steered right out of Angel Street and saw the 52 heading towards us from Commercial St. The staff member, dressed in his long raincoat decided to open the door and jump for it and wave the 52 'down'. As he opened the door he said, "OK mate, I'll shut it" and as he turned the handle to the close position he dived out the door. He made it perfectly, running like a good-un and still running and still running. After belting flat out up the road for about 100yds, I then realised that his raincoat was trapped in the door. He was b****y lucky he didn't finish up under the front wheel, but I couldn't stop laughing all the way to Ecclesall.

I took this shot of 706 at Rivelin Dams terminus after driving it there. It was probably mid-1968.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/NS-0004.jpg

I started as a conductor at Townhead St in '63. I worked mostly nights and from every depot in turn. 18 months later I went driving. Went to Leadmill Rd when it closed. My wife started same week (opposite shifts) as me at Herries Rd and we have consecutive badges, however we never met until a year later. We married in '67. We left the buses and Sheffield in '73. My Father retired off the buses with 42 years service.

Edited for link - http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/STDBus704.jpg

Archived