Sheffield's cream and blue buses

I also enjoyed reading this "dormant" thread, and as it happens I also knew C.T. Humpidge, the General Manager whom "Wadsleyite" referred to in post #87. In regard to the A, B and C fleets, the distinctions are explained in my carefully-preserved 1957 Ian Allan bus spotting book (its official title is "ABC British Bus Fleets (2) Yorkshire Municipal"). The relevant text reads:

Powers were obtained by the main line railway companies in 1928 to operate services, and as a result the "Sheffield Corporation, L.M.S., L.N.E. Railways Joint Omnibus Committee" was set up to control services operating outside the City boundary. Services that operated to intermediate points outside the City were designated 'B' services and in these the railways obtained a half interest, whilst on the longer distance services (designated 'C') the railways assumed complete ownership. The 'B' and 'C' services are operated by the Corporation on behalf of the Joint Omnibus Committee.

Thankyou for the information Hillsboro

The 1957 book states that buses in the 'A' fleet were numbered from 200 to 900, the 'B' fleet from 1 to 199 and 1251+, and the 'C' fleet between 1142 and 1207.

Naturally, after the railways were nationalised the "Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee" consisted of Sheffield Corporation and British Railways. I remember what Reggie Binks, an ex-L.N.E.R. driver told me about this in c. 1962. He drily commented that the closure of railway lines by Dr Beeching meant that more people would use buses, and so British Railways would still collect their fares.

Thankyou for the info Hillsbro. It is much appreciated. I wonder if the differences in livery of the buses related to the different fleets?

• 2 years later...
I remember when I first started working as a bus driver in the 70s, the Sheffield Corporation buses were painted a very smart blue and cream livery, with the Sheffield coat of arms prominent in the middle, since privatisation, the colour schemes seem to have gone from bad to worse, either very dowdy, or just very gharish, or am I just being nostalgic?

I've just seen a very brief glance of a Supertram painted in these scheme!

I've just seen a very brief glance of a Supertram painted in these scheme!

...yes apparently out from today in retro Sheffield Tramway livery to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Closure of the original Tramway system in Sheffield (8 Oct , 1960)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok bus fellahs, here's a challenge for you! I had a great photo off the interent of a 50's/60's bus coming down Ecclesall Rd passed the bottom of Greystones Rd, and on the left was the old Shell Filling Station where I worked. The bus would be a No 28 I think, or maybe No 4? Anyway I've lost it and would dearly like to get another copy, but have drawn a blank on all my searches. Can anyone find it please? Cheers.

Can you remember if it said any think on the back

did it have a name or the name of a group

Do you know if the bus was a backloader or a more modern atlantean - I assume its a double decker

Archived