Dripping and toast

This topic brings back memories of all sorts of dripping homemade being the best. When I started my apprenticeship at Daniel Doncaster's in 1964 dripping cakes were 2-1/2d and two dripping slices were 2d from the works canteen. You had to be fairly early to get the dripping cakes. I also remember the pikelet man coming round with his basket on his head. Yes the oatcakes were the bigger ones. They were great fried in bacon fat and then served with your bacon and eggs and what ever else was going on top. We also made our own dripping when we first came to Canada in 1980. The kids loved it and still do when they can get it. Their new Canadian friends however were not impressed. We may still have my Grandma's recipe for oatcakes lying around somewhere.

David in snowy SW Ontario

I forgot before, Oatcakes were best in the frying pan as an alternative to fried bread (let's not get into that one !) Pikelets were better left to their own toasting fork.

I forgot before, Oatcakes were best in the frying pan as an alternative to fried bread (let's not get into that one !).

Aye, best served wrapped around bacon and melted cheese as they do in Stoke.

Aye, best served wrapped around bacon and melted cheese as they do in Stoke.

Which reminds me of " hot" dripping i.e. the fat left in the pan after a fry up "dip" in other words. When I lived at home with my parents, Saturday lunchtime( dinner) was often whole boiled potatoes ,peas or green beans plus a fry up of bacon sausage and liver, and the dip poured all over the potatoes and veggies, like you would with gravy. That was one of my favourites, no wonder I was 18 stone at 18 years old LOL.

This is the best time of the year for me because breakfasts are always toast and dripping from the Christmas roast. Reminds me of thriftier, skinnier days in the Fifties https://wp.me/p5wFIX-4Q