To kill a mocking bird or not?

samssong

What about The grapes of wrath by Steinbeck? I read that in my teens and still rate it as one of his best only read The ragged trousered philanthropist a few years ago it was my fathers favourite I found a copy whilst clearing out his possessions after he died I can see why he liked it so much

"most influential" an interesting category, what do it mean? If it means formulating opinion then TKAM is certainly an important work. Although denser and harder to read I would suggest that the work of the american writer James Ellroy gives us an insight into the USA of the 50/60/70s that helps us understand the intrigues and attitudes that dictated the history of the late 20th century.

Dickens has already been mentioned, who did more to formulate opinion in Victorian England than he? A far better writer than Salinger.

If History is about opinions who is a better writer than Lord Norwich? His Byzantium books plus the two about the Normans in the south have been described as being like taken on a magic carpet ride through the middle ages. Relevant to today? In view of what is happening in the countries covered I would say yes. A beautiful writer.

What about The grapes of wrath by Steinbeck? I read that in my teens and still rate it as one of his best only read The ragged trousered philanthropist a few years ago it was my fathers favourite I found a copy whilst clearing out his possessions after he died I can see why he liked it so much

I've read both, many years ago, plus East of Eden. I also read Mockingbird a long time ago, and I bought a copy as a gift for a friend a couple of years ago. One of my favourites. I read most of Dickens as a youngster.

None of these books were read for academic reasons or because I'd seen the film, they were recommended or given to me.

Great novels, but the most influential of all time?

I'd have to give that a bit of thought.

In terms of 'writing' generally (as opposed to 'novels'), surely Homer holds that trophy in perpetuity.