Little London Road/Queens Road Traffic Control

I'm told this is correct, but the timescale isn't yet fixed as it depends on other workload, so slippage can occur.

The tidal flow system is basicaly at the end of it's life, it's obsolete and no longer meets current government specification for such traffic management arrangements. If it was refurbished / replaced it would need to meet current requirements, which add to the costs, so it appears the most economic way forward is to remove it and return to a more traditional arrangement.

I'm told the new proposals have been modelled and don't appear to compromise journey times.

Thanks for the update Planner.

From 'The tidal flow system...' onwards, it at least made me laugh for the first time today :):hihi:

Especially the last line.

Thanks for the update Planner.

From 'The tidal flow system...' onwards, it at least made me laugh for the first time today :):hihi:

Especially the last line.

What's funny about it?

It's Amey's responsibility to maintain what's there. They want to take out the tidal flow system because it will cost them a lot to refurb it. The Council wouldn't accept any proposed solution that would make things worse. Why should they? Amey have to maintain it, not the Council. The way that you test a highway scheme's impact on traffic flows is to model it (in a computer simulation), so that's what has been done.

I'm told the new proposals have been modelled and don't appear to compromise journey times.

Do you know if the proposals are available to view online?

It's fortunate that I didn't have a mouthful of tea or coffee when I read that.

What's funny about it?

It's Amey's responsibility to maintain what's there. They want to take out the tidal flow system because it will cost them a lot to refurb it. The Council wouldn't accept any proposed solution that would make things worse. Why should they? Amey have to maintain it, not the Council. The way that you test a highway scheme's impact on traffic flows is to model it (in a computer simulation), so that's what has been done.

Planner, as a 'champion' of Sheffield Council, do you know how I can actually log a fault with this system on line?

Also, I just need to pick up on your points. The system is a success and works well (when it works). That's why it was introduced. That's why it has been left running.

If what you are suggesting about fixed lanes having no detriment to journey times is correct, then why hasn't it been put in place manually by now?

The fact is, the same 'I'm told the new proposals have been modelled and don't appear to compromise journey times.' was quoted for the Woodseats bus gates. And what a complete and utter embarrassing crock up for SCC that was. Although the very people who said it was a success were no longer there to face the music for their stupidity/ignorance.

Anyone can see that fixed lanes will either slow traffic in the morning, or at night. But one of those will happen if we are stuck with either one lane in in a morning, or two lanes out at night.

If it was refurbished / replaced it would need to meet current requirements, which add to the costs, so it appears the most exconomic way forward is to remove it and return to a more traditional arrangement.

How have they managed to big it up into a terribly expensive job?

I'll knock it up for them with a some lights, Raspberry PIs and wireless comms between gantries.

If you have a link, please, to these current requirements then I'll make sure they are taken into account.

Report the problem via fixmystreet.com. Pin the location on the map then use the pull down category menu and log as either traffic lights or road sign or highway. Then fill in the rest of the info requested including the box that asks for full location and discription of problem and how long it`s been happening.

The report is then sent to SCC for action.

Planner, as a 'champion' of Sheffield Council, do you know how I can actually log a fault with this system on line?

Also, I just need to pick up on your points. The system is a success and works well (when it works). That's why it was introduced. That's why it has been left running.

If what you are suggesting about fixed lanes having no detriment to journey times is correct, then why hasn't it been put in place manually by now?

The fact is, the same 'I'm told the new proposals have been modelled and don't appear to compromise journey times.' was quoted for the Woodseats bus gates. And what a complete and utter embarrassing crock up for SCC that was. Although the very people who said it was a success were no longer there to face the music for their stupidity/ignorance.

Anyone can see that fixed lanes will either slow traffic in the morning, or at night. But one of those will happen if we are stuck with either one lane in in a morning, or two lanes out at night.

I was thinking the same :hihi:

It seems some of things I want to type have already been skirted around.

It's also fortunate that I wasn't drinking tea or coffee when I read milquetoast's post :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*

How have they managed to big it up into a terribly expensive job?

I'll knock it up for them with a some lights, Raspberry PIs and wireless comms between gantries.

If you have a link, please, to these current requirements then I'll make sure they are taken into account.

It was flagged up years ago as too expensive for SCC to do. It used to extend further up London Rd past the old station, iirc? Noises were made about extending it all the way along to Abbey Lane at one time and that was when it was said to be obsolete and too expensive to maintain. We were living at Heeley then,so must have been at least 10-15 years ago?

The tidal flow system is basicaly at the end of it's life, it's obsolete and no longer meets current government specification for such traffic management arrangements. If it was refurbished / replaced it would need to meet current requirements, which add to the costs, so it appears the most exconomic way forward is to remove it and return to a more traditional arrangement.

If it no longer meets government specifications how come Lincoln spent £5 million upgrading their tidal flow system and markings/junctions on Canwick Road just last year?

This just sounds more like the system needs money spent on it, so it's easier for Amey to chop it all down. Where have we heard that already?

Lincoln got a lot more for its £5m:

A five month, £5m project to improve traffic flow and pedestrian safety through the Canwick Road area of Lincoln opened on schedule today (June 1).

Improvements to ease congestion include wider lanes along Canwick Road and on the approaches to the South Park Avenue junction, dedicated turning lanes and improved junction layouts. The overhead gantries have also been replaced at the junction and will no longer require lane closures to carry out maintenance.

Facilities for pedestrians and cyclists have also been improved including the combined foot and cycleway on Canwick Hill, a new toucan crossing across the junction at Canwick Road and Washingborough Road and a subway which has been created at the South Park Avenue junction linking the area to Cow Paddle common.

On Google Streetview the tidal flow things look like those on Queens Road.

So why is it so much cheaper to remodel the roads than to renew what's there already?

Could it be... Amey's priority is to keep money for Amey so they cooked up some scenario to make out that the traffic flows just as well on the road without tidal flow as with?

I've just thought of another section of road that has better traffic flow since it was 'improved'

the new 'roundabout' at Owlerton at peak times.