Hunters Bar Shops Anyone?

Re Sharrow Vale Road:

I remember there used to be a butcher's shop "Gregory & Son" which advertised pork and beef on its name board. The name was in the middle, with pork and beef at the two ends. We used to refer to it as "Pork Gregory and Son Beef".

Further up, opposite today's car place, there was Alfred Holmes, butcher and this business passed on to his son Geoffrey, who has now retired, I believe.

There was a sweetshop opposite the school owned by Harry (and Betty??) Ward. He always colsed on a Wednesday and took two weeks off in the summer. He owned two shops, next door being non-prescription drugs (Beecham's Powders NOT heroin!!).

I remember going into DiNitto's. He was a great entertainer and offered something more personal in his customer service.

Re: Ecclesall Road:

There used to be a grocer's "Ward" on the Hunter's Bar side of Ecclesall Road above Hickmott Road. They had a few branches all over Sheffield. My mother came across an old order for this shop back in 1955 recently.

(sigh) Nostalgia's not what it used to be...

I have just learnt that the grocers A Ward was one of my uncles shops, before my time. I am very interested in any info regarding the chain of shops he had, photos etc welcome. Family tradition has it he sold up to Fine Fare and retired. Pete.

next to two steps chippy was the news agent Bridgesandat the top of Sharrow Vale rd was Gallery 3..

if i remember right.

I'm glad i've read all these, a real trip down memory lane.... My mum & dad owned Dales Chip Shop ..... Billy Dale being my dad (and I might add much much more than a former "club turn")

I seem to rememeber there being a decorating shop where Jesters is now

as I remember they had all the different wallpaper displayed in the window and I used to look at it when I was little probably mid 60's early 70's.

I remember the Studio shop as they used to sell canned knickers! Which as kids we thought were hillarious.

I lived further up at Greystones but used to spend time in the shops at Hunters Bar it seemed very up town in those days!

Oh yeah I remember the wallpaper shop.

I also remember a corner shop on the corner of steel road and sharrowvale road, its a house now.

What was the name of that frozen food centre/shop, somewhere on eccelsall road near Hunters Bar, after the Park and heading towards tesco.....it was a big place and we used to drive down from Lodge Moor to fill our freezer....this was about 1975 when home freezers were still considered a luxury and there were specialized frozen food shops.......

Olivers . .

I lived on Southgrove road off ecclesall road and went to hunters bar school from 1951 to 1957.then to Silverdale. when i started work in 1961 it was as a butcher at the coop which then later backed on to neil road, Maydews sold the best vanilla ice cream i have ever tasted. Just before H B school walking up sharrowvale road was a sweet shop with the front door on an angle, as a school kid i used to but 5 park drive cigs and a box of matches there and accross the road was a shop that sold hot piecletts ( spelling?) buttered for a penny.A great memory was standing in the playground firing at passers by with my pea shooter bag of hard peas about a penny. Good old days

I used to live in and around Hunters Bar in the mid 50's to mid 70's. I'm doing a bit of research and have been trying to work out the sequence of shops in the area.

On the corner (where jesters is now) was Fletchers Bakers with possibly the Nat Pro bank on one side, and perhaps Godley's on the other. Godley's was a habberdashers if I remember right and there was a barber upstairs who stuck your hair together, after cutting it, with Brilliantine or something. There was .. snip

Jass

We lived in the area for a short time in the mid 1960s until we moved up to High Storrs. I particularly remember NatWest as it was the first bank that I ever asked for a loan and they turned me down. They were in the days you actually saw the bank manager, some officious individual, who I think went to the same barbers you mentioned. I was a victim of that barber too from time to time. Seem to think he was middle aged and on his own. His portfolio of haircuts consisted of just "short back and sides" I think :P

Hi rmcmum - I lived on Neill Road from 1948 to 1962 and went to Hunters Bar School. We lived at no. 27.

Unconverted houses on Neill Road sell for around £190,000 and all done up for student letting they go for around £240,000.

Your mum would have called for the men with white coats if anyone had predicted prices like that in her days on Neill Road.

My Parents bought there first house on Onslow Rd in 1965 for around £800 pounds or so and they sold it the following year for well over £1000. You could make good profits even then.

Unconverted houses on Neill Road sell for around £190,000 and all done up for student letting they go for around £240,000.

Your mum would have called for the men with white coats if anyone had predicted prices like that in her days on Neill Road.

It would appear from contemporary maps that Neill Road was built at the turn of the 20th century. My grandparents rented a house in Porter Terrace when they first moved from Cambridgeshire in 1908. By 1911 they were renting in Neill Road and lived there until my grandmother died in the mid70s. I remember my mother saying that my grandfather was given the option to buy but it was 'just before the war' (WW I or WW II was not stated but probably the latter) and he would not take the risk considering renting to be a better option. Just before my grandmother died she aquired a new landlord who wanted to install a bathroom which she found difficult to understand having always been used to and outside toilet.

Although I had seen that the property was now worth over three figures £240,000 is astonishing but at least I was pleased to see that the houses were still standing when I returned on a visit in June after over 40 years. However I was very concerned to see the graffiti on the walls opposite Hunters Bar School.

I went to Hunters Bar School from '41-'46, lived on Ranby Rd.(surprise!) Well remember Miss Shaw at the Bakers on Ecclesall Rd., very proper and sprightly. We used to club together after school to buy a cob for 2pence 3farthings and share it out accordingly as we went home thro' Endcliffe Park taunting the Parkie nicknamed "Hitler" who usually gave chase to no effect. The bookies just above Hickmott Rd. was then a radio/repairs shop owned by Mr Clark. His son Harley was one of my pals and his dad taught us to swim on Sat. mornings. Harley was keen on Magic and had loads of tricks up his sleeve.

We eventually lost touch as I went on to Nether Edge and I think he went to High Storrs.

I still remember he told me I didn't have very sexy feet and he was right then and still is!

About next door to the chippy opposite the playground opened a mystery shop called The Gift Shop and I remember being sadly disappointed to eventually find out that you had to pay for things! The innocence of youth! Right next to that was th Drugstore where you bought licorice root and blocks of black licorice etc. Opposite, right next to the playground was the sasporilla ? shop with their big glass containers of Vimto and the like. The headmaster was a congenial but firm Mr. Bingham who lived near Louth Rd. and of course walked to school past my house on Ranby Rd. I seem to remember "falling" for a Gillian Buxton in my class at a very tender age, wonder what happened to her? Perhaps that's a good place to stop and say BFN.