Hunters Bar Shops Anyone?

jass

Thanks, Hopman, I well remember Harrys where we used to go for a drink of hot blackcurrant and a cigarette. Harry would holiday in Ireland and come back with a supply of fags that he would sell to us singly for 2d each: Sweet Afton.

Anyone remember the pikelet shop on Sharrowvale Rd.? -or Kitchens ironmongers on the corner of Walton Rd./ Ecclesall Rd. ?

Oldrowley:I can't remember Shaws delivery bikes round High Storrs, but certainly recall me pushing a fully loaded butchers bike up those hills, and having to keep one hand on the saddle to stop the thing from cartwheeling!!

Thanks, Hopman, I well remember Harrys where we used to go for a drink of hot blackcurrant and a cigarette. Harry would holiday in Ireland and come back with a supply of fags that he would sell to us singly for 2d each: Sweet Afton.

Anyone remember the pikelet shop on Sharrowvale Rd.? -or Kitchens ironmongers on the corner of Walton Rd./ Ecclesall Rd. ?

Oldrowley:I can't remember Shaws delivery bikes round High Storrs, but certainly recall me pushing a fully loaded butchers bike up those hills, and having to keep one hand on the saddle to stop the thing from cartwheeling!!

Would that be William Talbot butchers Pensionipper - I think they came up from Banner Cross. On reflection, it would seem to be a long way to come from Shaws with one bread basket and I'm wondering if I was thinking of J W Rose at Ecclesall Church gates.

At the Hunters Bar end of Sharrowvale Rd, across from the school was a fish mongers (name anyone?) and a butchers possibly named Botts. They used to hang pheasants and rabbits outside with little brown paper bags over their heads. I think they both had awnings that they pulled out over the pavement which would have kept the sun and rain off the dead animals hanging there. They were also quite handy for loitering under when there was a shower.

Cheers, Jass

Oldrowley- no, the butchers I worked for was Darwins, now long gone which was situated just before Hartington Rd. and next door to a newsagents. I did have a mate called Stan (no longer with us) who worked for Talbots. One day the boss -Billy's son?- came to the shop, had a look at the fridge that Stan had cleaned and stacked neatly with frozen lambs. He then pulled all the lambs out and generally messed the fridge about and said 'right, put them back.' Stan told him to put them back himself and walked out, ending a brief career in the meat industry!

Jass: You're right, I remember them just as you describe. A little further on, but before Harry's, is a florists shop that has been there in the same trade for many years, and last time I was there it was just the same (time warp?) with a very old photo on the wall taken before I was born - not yesterday!

Thanks to all.

Hi everyone. Thought of another shop at the Hunters Bar end of Sharrowvale Road. Coombs! This was a cobblers and as a child I sometimes went in just to have a chat with the guy in there. He seemed to enjoy the company and would talk as he carried on repairing shoes - you know, back in the days when you didn't just chuck 'em away and buy new.

Here you could buy the usual polish and laces etc, as well as segs and stik-a-soles (sp). Anyone remember them? Water seeping in through your shoe? No problem. Either the cobbler would fix them or you could purchase the stik-a-sole kit containing a piece of rubber and a tube of glue. Trim to suit and the job's a good'n. Well at least until it rained! I seem to remember that when the glue became wet it would kind of dissolve and the stik-a-sole would flop about a bit before finally dropping off completely.

And what about segs then? Were they good or what? We used to try hammering them in all around the heels and soles (using the old hobbing foot, of course). The idea was to then run down a hill and slide to see if you could make sparks come off the bottoms of your shoes. In fact I seem to recall it being a little tricky just staying upright on the old paved or cobbled streets. Not very cool suddenly landing on your ass just when you were trying to impress the young and voluptuous Martha Trollop. Ahhh, memories

Cheers Jass

Only just read this thread. There was a bakery on Ecclesall Road, opposite the alms houses, called Hadfields, This was in the 1950s. I went to school with Patricia Tory, I think her father was a stone mason or something like that. They always had great slabs of stone at the back of the house.

• 2 weeks later...

Lived at 351 Sharrowvale Road for first ten years of my life. 1935 - 1945 My mother had a hairdressing business called Mays, and we lived at the rear, it is now a picture framing shop.

At this time the shop next door was a sweet shop owned by a family called Wrigley . At the corner of Cowlishaw road and Sharrowvale , I can't remember what they sold but I do remember the local air raid shelter was situated in their cellar. On the other corner, that is now the pine furniture shop, this was a fire station.

Across the road on Sharrowvale was a pikelet / oatcake shop , you could buy them all freshly made whilst you waited, the lady's name was Mrs Mycock.

Next door,there was a paper shop next door to that I think a pet shop.

The Mediterreanean restaurant was owned by Brook Brays greengrocers who had a large allotment at the top of Greystones road (now built on) , during the war they grew the produce here to sell in the shop.Yes I also remember the wonderland of the toy Shop and the fish and chip shop owned by a family called Dixon. There was also a butchers shop just before the school this family was called Moore.

There is a regular meeting of ex Hunters bar school pupils (mostly of retirement age)at the Beauchief Hotel on Abbeydale Road . Next one being Monday 23rd October at 11 am . if anyone interested.

To Peter W we seem to have followed each other around from Hunters Bar , Greystones cinema/dance hall and the Clarion