Hunters Bar Shops Anyone?

jass

I notice that a lady by the name of June is researching Hunter's Bar School. My mother and her two sisters and my father went to this school between 1914 - 1925 but to date I have not been able to find any sources for registers or other records apart from photographs on-line. I contacted school but they did not even reply. I would be very grateful if either June or anyone else could give me some references to help me in my research.

Galena

Re the Chinese Laundry, my mother always told me how frightened she and her sister were when they were sent to collect my grandfather's starched collars from this laundry immediately before, during and after WW I. They were frightened as the parcel of washing was collected through a small window that only allowed them to see a head with a different skin colour, pigtail and coolie hat. In addition the man handing it over did not speak any English.

Galena

Re Dawn's enquiry about her cousins with the name of Parkinson. I think that a family named Parkinson lived next door to a relative of mine. I have not yet submitted enough posts to allow a private reply to Dawn but I am willing to give her more information if she would like to contact me.

Galena

I notice that a lady by the name of June is researching Hunter's Bar School. My mother and her two sisters and my father went to this school between 1914 - 1925 but to date I have not been able to find any sources for registers or other records apart from photographs on-line. I contacted school but they did not even reply. I would be very grateful if either June or anyone else could give me some references to help me in my research.

Galena

I can put you in touch with June if you contact me on PM'S

Galena - the chinese laundry was almost opposite the bottom of Wadbrough Rd. Echoing to the alien shouts of the staff and belching hot steam, it fascinated us when we were kids. We often tried to look in - only to be chased away by a little chinaman shouting in his own lingo. Years later the shop was closed one day with a note on the door "back in ten minutes". Not true. They had gone back to China!

Sharrowvale Road:- The Lescar pub which is still there- the Porter Cottage pub opposite and down a bit from the Lescar.

"The Glory Hole" which was a second hand furniture shop owned by "JJ" who I still see - this was almost next to the Porter Cottage.

Ann's Cafe, which had a juke box in the 60s, and was about 12 feet square - lots of trouble around Anns in the early 60s when the teen revolution started.

The best sausage and tomato sandwiches ever. Ann's husband had an E type Jag!!

The Two Steps chippie is still there and was owned by Mrs. Morgan (very Welsh!) and later by her son Graham.

Dale's chippie across the road from the Two Steps was run by Billy Dale who had worked as a "Club Turn".

The old Ecclesall Non Political Club (Non-Pots) on Ecclesall Road below Hickmott Rd. started life as a big corrugated shed. Many stories about that.

• 1 month later...
I have lived at Hunters Bar all my life (37 yrs). Just below the Co-op there used to be a small chemist shop but can't remember the name. Where Nonna's is now it used to be a butchers called Olivants ( i think) can't remeber what it was previous maybe a grocers.

Does anyone remember the name of the bakery on the corner of Neill rd and Hickmott rd? they used to sell Hartley's potted meat and cakes etc. Can anyone remember the Candy Bar at Hunters Bar? or the lollipopary opposite the School? Can anyone remeber the jug and bottle on Ecclesall road corner with Wadborough rd?

P.S Nick -sorry to hear about your Dad

There are comments on the Lollypoppery on Page 1 of this thread Shabertyess

May be just out of your time range, but the one shop I regret having gone is YSF Books, which was located at the bottom of Junction Road when I first found it, and then relocated to Sharrow Vale Road just past the school. The man who ran it had been a naval surgeon but became ill and started the shop with his wife. He always had a bowl of sweets and chocolates on the counter for customers. He was an interesting character and the shop was all that a good bookshop shouldbe, 3 floors and you never knew what you might find, at reasonable prices.

When he died his wife ran it at the new location for some time, but I gather the son wasn't that interested and she decided to retire and sell up. She had a special sale for a while with everything reduced.

Sheffield is the poorer without it as second-hand bookshops are now thin on the ground in this city. The Art and Book shop in West St has gone, Alan Hill, who used to be in Broomhill and then West St., has gone (at least, he is now trading only by post on some industrial estate). Does anyone remember the weekly book sales in the Blind Institute on Mappin St? I found some good stuff there.

HUNTERS BAR SCHOOL CENTENARY DAY JUNE 16th 2007

They need more photos (or copies) of teachers , groups, and classes from 1907 , for the above school centenary collection celebration day .

Please contact me on PM's for organiser June (Cooper) Broad phone no. if you can help .