Sheffield Cathedral Baptisms ?

Are there any local history buffs who can help me with a little puzzle ?

Does Hillsboro still post? Wondering if he will know ?

Anyway,here's the thing..

Firstly, how would I get info as to a baptism at Sheffield Cathedral in the 1930's., do they have records of who God parents were for instance?

The second part of the puzzle is: What would be the reasoning behind a child being baptized at the Cathedral when the parents were neither High Church or lived in the vicinity, a child whose siblings were baptized at small local churches?

A child who was in a poorer part of Sheffield at the time? Could it have been a mass baptism for some reason ?

It's just a family mystery and so out of character for a normal working class family in those days.

Any thoughts ? ..Sensible answers only please !!

It's not as strange as you think so maybe no exception. My mother who's 90 next month was Baptised at Sheffield Cathedral, her family were a "working class" family, her father being a "dry stone fork grinder". At the time of her Baptism mum's family lived in Heeley where there's a church but, she and her siblings were Baptised at Sheffield Cathedral.

Thank you for all replies so far..

Thanks Hillsboro, good to see you again ! I am not on SF too much but I do keep popping in to see what's happening.

Duffems..Thanks, your story is similar with one exception..the siblings were NOT baptised at the Cathedral, only the middle child was ! Weirdly .

lottiecass..Yes, all very strange !

Mass baptism could be one answer... I looked up a few ancestors at Sheffield Archives and found that they were baptised at the same time as a lot of other children.

Another answer might be that the child was not expected to survive, so the baptism might have needed to be done quickly

Possibly!!!!

Thanks blackhill , I find it weird that just one of the siblings was singled out for the cathedral as in your family the same as mine.

Thanks CarolW , that certainly could be an explanation.

I emailed the Cathedral but it's now the Diocesan records office at Shoreham street that deals with such things, so the next step is to contact them !

Thank you for all replies so far..

Thanks Hillsboro, good to see you again ! I am not on SF too much but I do keep popping in to see what's happening.

Duffems..Thanks, your story is similar with one exception..the siblings were NOT baptised at the Cathedral, only the middle child was ! Weirdly .

lottiecass..Yes, all very strange !

I am the 3rd born of 7,but I was the only one baptised at the cathedral,the others had to make do with Southey Baptist church.Maybe they thought I was special? thought wrong didn't they.I can't ask my parents they've gone now but I think my oldest sister has my certificate of baptism.