Democracy . Is it under grave threat.

What does seem clear is that taking a bog standard criminal justice approach to terrorism is not viable, so there has to be a degree of variance from plods SOP when dealing with islamic terrorists.

I think I disagree, if the law doesn't treat everyone the same then that seriously undermines democracy, as well as sets a dangerous precedent.

First they came for the muslims, and I did not speak out because I was not a muslim....

No, we must have one law for all and I will speak up.

Edited by flamingjimmy

while we sit and argue about whether we are at war or not, the war is happening right now. not right here in our streets and homes, and not with guns but words.

keep your head in the sand and we have already lost.

while we sit and argue about whether we are at war or not, the war is happening right now. not right here in our streets and homes, and not with guns but words.

keep your head in the sand and we have already lost.

What would you have us do?

open and truthful debate, no name calling, no bull, just enlightenment.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 18:37 ----------

but that will not happen here.

OK, well you certainly sound open. Enlighten me!

I don't necessarily disagree, however if we accept that then do we accept the undemocratic acts undertaken in the name of fighting Nazism were a greater threat than Hitler? Suspension of elections, internment without trial based on nationality and/or political views are clearly undemocratic, but were judged a lesser evil at the time.

I get your point clearly. But just a thought. A pillar of democratic society, is that the State remain untainted by religious interference. Was that not the case in

Britain in 1939 to 1945 ?

Rathr than speaking in riddls why not just make you point as it elates to the thread title. If you have a topic of your own that you seem to want to explore then start your own thread and make it intelligible.

There are debates all the time - Parliament, work places, forums....

If you think there is a war happening right now in Britain, how should Parliament respond?

I get your point clearly. But just a thought. A pillar of democratic society, is that the State remain untainted by religious interference. Was that not the case in

Britain in 1939 to 1945 ?

We had religious interference then and we still have it now (i believe only us and Iran allow clerics to vote on matters of state by virtue of the religious office they hold).

You seem to be convinced that western democracy is under threat but you won't name these better-informed fountains of wisdom. It's not much of a debate when you're arguing a conclusion without any reasons for it.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 18:18 ----------

The thread's about western democracy.

I beg your pardon for the oversight. I'll give you one to be going on with. "Tzvetan Todorov, Honorary Director of Research at CNRS in Paris". http://www.atlantic books.co.uk. There you go.

the press, the political elite, and various other groups who would curtail our freedoms have already achieved what your sig is trying to warn about, although almost nobody has noticed because the oppressors of today are 'peaceful', if you believe the lies.

the press, the political elite, and various other groups who would curtail our freedoms have already achieved what your sig is trying to warn about, although almost nobody has noticed because the oppressors of today are 'peaceful', if you believe the lies.

So if you think there is a war happening right now in Britain, how should Parliament respond? I don't think the media, especially the gutter press, are peaceful.