Petition to install crossing haymarket castle st waingate

Well either way the petition is there if you do thank you if you don't then it's no problem it probably won't get out there I agree there's already one in place but as people say they don't wanna walk up and sometimes people just walk out without looking no one really knows the story of what happened but as a bus driver myself I've had lots of near misses round that area doesn't help that taxis pull out whenever they please and like but anyway no harm in trying ☺️

Except that they weren't hit by a car, they were hit by a bus... the same bus that those car drivers are being encouraged to get on.

---------- Post added 13-12-2015 at 15:37 ----------

Please no. Most people can cross the road safely by looking for traffic, why make them walk hundreds of yards out of their way? This is one of the really irritating things about Hillsborough corner, for example.

safety is irritating isn't it? Unfortunately I find a bit more irritating to end up in hospital or worse if it wasn't safe (which it clearly isn't)

safety is irritating isn't it? Unfortunately I find a bit more irritating to end up in hospital or worse if it wasn't safe (which it clearly isn't)

What, so you want to install railings on every bit of road that isn't a crossing to stop people crossing there in the name of safety? How many thousands of people have crossed there without incident compared to the ones who have been involved in a collision? For that matter the most dangerous bit at Hillsborough corner seems to be actually on the crossing as people get run over there quite often.

a beautiful young girl has lost her life and her young boyfriend is critical

god bless them both and thoughts with there families

Comments of some people like this Jensen women are ridiculous two young people lost theres lives and she feels this is the time to get her anger out

its wrong !!!

godless you all xxx

People are just dog-tired of the obscene amount of traffic on the roads. Sick of having to stop, start, be herded like cattle to the crossing '200 yards out of the way they actually want to go.

<snip>

So, IMO, another crossing is a splendid idea, as it will get used, due to being where it is, rather than '200 yards up the road', as well as provide some much needed traffic slowing, both to make the roads safer, and, provide more incentive for able-bodied drivers to get off their lazy backsides, park their metal box well out of the way of busy pedestrian areas, and get some much needed exercise.

Is a new pedestran crossing the answer? A crossing at that location would cause even more congestion in the area as traffic is forced to wait for pedestrians to cross the road. That junction is aleady congested enough at peak times.

end of day congestion is better than another life lost yeah it gets congested but you have to have eyes in back of your head just today I had someone walk out infront of my bus in that very area! Seriously it won't be long they'll be another accident

I've had an idea what might help. What if the bridge on Haymarket was re-opened so people can get across to Wilkinson's easier?

I suspect most people would not use it. If people don't walk a few yards up the road to the crossing, I doubt they will climb up/down two steps of stairs to go across a bridge.

This is a tragic accident and my condolences to the families concerned. BUT, lets not loose our heads here.

The junction already has a crossing point island in the middle of it. Thousands of people make that crossing every day.

SOMETIMES things just happen. A mistimed cross. A speeding driver or some other unique split second factor.

Castle Market is being dismantled as we speak. The shopping is likely to whittle down also over the next few years. The area's purpose and layout will be changing as will the levels of points of footfall.

No point adding another crossing to an already traffic light heavy area.

I agree with other posters that traffic builds up enough without any further restrictions and contributors.

I've had an idea what might help. What if the bridge on Haymarket was re-opened so people can get across to Wilkinson's easier?

Stand where that bridge is and look at how many people are crossing the small section of road in the area between the bridge and Subway despite there been a proper pedestrian crossing just a few yards up the road.

Some might use the bridge, the vast majority won't.

Stand where that bridge is and look at how many people are crossing the small section of road in the area between the bridge and Subway despite there been a proper pedestrian crossing just a few yards up the road.

Some might use the bridge, the vast majority won't.

A large proportion of people would if they was going to upstairs in Wilkinson's. I live in Crosspool and we get off the bus on Leopold Street and walk down to Wilkinson's. It would be a good short cut for us and we wouldn't have to walk down King Street past all of the undesirables.

Edited by JBFox

That area of town is CHAOS. There are too many buses jostling for too few bus stops.

Passengers often have to run out into the road to stop a bus driving straight off it's in a queue of 2 buses at the same stop. I get the number 8/8a from Haymarket sadly it shares a stop with the many, many 120s and if there's a 120 in the number 8 often drives straight past. This leads to people taking risks to try and attract the driver's attention to stop. The driver is often trying to catch up time and so speeds off at the first opportunity.

Add to that the dozens of taxis that zoom alongside buses making them invisible you have a pretty dangerous road all round.

In an ideal world all people who want to cross the road down there would use the crossing outside KFC. Also in an ideal world drivers of buses and taxis would driver with due care and attention. Sadly we don't live in an ideal world.

Coming from Leopold St you don't have to walk down King St if you don't want to. Just carry on walking down High St then onto Haymarket, not sure why the opening of that bridge would suddenly make you take a different route to the one you currently take.

While I'm sure some would use the bridge if it reopened and linked to an upstairs entrance to Wilkinsons, it would only really be useful for people doing just that. For everybody else just wanting the cross Haymarket it would be of no use to them at all.

Edited by WageSlave