'footie' - contributory negligence ??

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why Footballers slide themselves forcefully to the ground on bent knees when celebrating the scoring of a Goal ?

It has to be the easiest way of causing serious damage to cartilage/ligaments of the knee - possibly jeopardising any Players future in the Game.

At Professional level as a Manager why would I allow my Players worth Millions to my Club to do this repeatedly week after week ?

I wonder if their Insurance Co. is aware of their contributory negligence to injury when making their claim.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why Footballers slide themselves forcefully to the ground on bent knees when celebrating the scoring of a Goal ?

It has to be the easiest way of causing serious damage to cartilage/ligaments of the knee - possibly jeopardising any Players future in the Game.

At Professional level as a Manager why would I allow my Players worth Millions to my Club to do this repeatedly week after week ?

I wonder if their Insurance Co. is aware of their contributory negligence to injury when making their claim.

Has there been any proven links to injuries from doing this?

The pitches are watered that heavily in corners on a lot of pitches, that it is easy to slide on them.

I listened to one footie show the other day and they were saying that the modern pitches are like concrete,think they were having a few words about the injury crisis that hits some teams.

Has there been any proven links to injuries from doing this?

The pitches are watered that heavily in corners on a lot of pitches, that it is easy to slide on them.

There has been quite a few bad injuries from doing it Robbie.

A couple that instantly spring to mind are Sandro earlier this year and Viera hit the headlines years ago for Arsenal when he did it.

How much water is on a pitch is also pretty irrelevant as to whether they sustain an injury or not as well because a good few other factors come into play for example height they throw themselves down from the weight distribution in the slide.

I am with the OP on this one. Way too many stupid goal celebrations including this particular one. It is dangerous and isn't necessary.

There has been quite a few bad injuries from doing it Robbie.

A couple that instantly spring to mind are Sandro earlier this year and Viera hit the headlines years ago for Arsenal when he did it.

How much water is on a pitch is also pretty irrelevant as to whether they sustain an injury or not as well because a good few other factors come into play for example height they throw themselves down from the weight distribution in the slide.

I am with the OP on this one. Way too many stupid goal celebrations including this particular one. It is dangerous and isn't necessary.

I wasn't disagreeing, I was only asking if there's any evidence to back it up.

I couldn't think of any injuries off the top of my head where injuries from this particular celebration had happened.

Benjani's celebrations on the other hand was an injury waiting to happen.

The pitch watering will generally make sure there is no dragging once on the floor, but the impact could of course cause damage, but is there much risk? I honestly don't know.

Why can't they just do the Shearer celebration.

I remember the Hartlepool game at the Lane a couple of seasons back, we lost 3-2, and i think it was Ritchie Humphries that scored for Pool, in celebration he went to slide on his knees and hit the only dry spot on the pitch and went face first into the mud, was worth conceding a goal to see his face when he got back up...:hihi::hihi: