Car clipped by van on M1, any advice?

So, driving to work this morning going Southbound on the M1, I'm in the left lane, there's a Transit van, the kind with a transit cab and a larger box kinda cargo compartment on the back, in the middle lane. We're only going about 30mph as there's a queue and roadworks up ahead near Jct 30. His rear end is about level with my headlights.

All of a sudden, he indicates and immediately pulls over into my lane (he clearly didn't check his mirrors as the whole thing was very quick). I start sounding my horn, he carries on and his back end clips my offside wing, hard enough to move the car, but luckily not hard enough to do any major damage.

He sticks his hand out of the window in apology and carries on.

Annoying, but as I said, there's no major damage as far as I can tell, just a nice scrape on the wing (I have a ratted 4x4 with about 4 layers of paint so I'm not bothered particularly by this).

My question is, should I still report this to the police/insurers? I have a picture showing his reg and a pic of the damage. Not wanting to claim or anything but the fact he didn't see me despite us going so slow and me having my headlights on is worrying for other road users.

Any help appreciated.

Fleeing the scene of an accident, I guess that would apply if you both did not exchange details.

He could have been drunk, so he did not want to stop, I havnt been involved in many accidents, but if you felt the car move I guess he should be aware of an impact.

So, driving to work this morning going Southbound on the M1, I'm in the left lane, there's a Transit van, the kind with a transit cab and a larger box kinda cargo compartment on the back, in the middle lane. We're only going about 30mph as there's a queue and roadworks up ahead near Jct 30. His rear end is about level with my headlights.

All of a sudden, he indicates and immediately pulls over into my lane (he clearly didn't check his mirrors as the whole thing was very quick). I start sounding my horn, he carries on and his back end clips my offside wing, hard enough to move the car, but luckily not hard enough to do any major damage.

Annoying, but as I said, there's no major damage as far as I can tell, just a nice scrape on the wing (I have a ratted 4x4 with about 4 layers of paint so I'm not bothered particularly by this).

My question is, should I still report this to the police/insurers? I have a picture showing his reg and a pic of the damage. Not wanting to claim or anything but the fact he didn't see me despite us going so slow and me having my headlights on is worrying for other road users.

Any help appreciated.

I understand what he did is not correct but to be honest why to take that any further? There is a high chance that he did not realised that his car touched your car especially when we are actually talking about paint scratch. And if that's the case is difficult to prove it.

If you are not looking to get something out of it, there is no reason of taking it any further.

I have seen people losing their NCB even if it wasn't their fault so it may find its way back to you

My personal opinion is to just let it go if you are not looking for any repairs from your side.

Edited by mecheng46

Any help appreciated.

I stand to be corrected but I believe insurance companies require you to report any accident or incidence to them in case of future litigation.

Thanks for the advice guys. It was such a minor bump that I'm not really bothered about involving insurers as, as has been said, it would probably end being more hassle than it's worth. It's just the fact that he completely failed to see me that worries me.

I don't think he was drunk as he wasn't driving irratically or anything.

Thanks for the advice guys. It was such a minor bump that I'm not really bothered about involving insurers as, as has been said, it would probably end being more hassle than it's worth. It's just the fact that he completely failed to see me that worries me.

He did a mistake, he realised that, he apologized (in his own way), lets not hang him.

Lets hope he will be more careful in the future.