Halfway History

dink

Hi, I was born in Halfway but know quite little about it, I know there was a pub called the Halfway House down where the tram stop now is and that there used to be a school opposite the Morrisons roundabout, I used to play on the old fields of the demolished School as a kid in the early 90s as they were right next to where I lived (Sewell Road).

Would love to see some old pictures and maps of Halfway and learn some history of the area.

The road I grew up on, Sewell Road, looks like it would have been a fairly early addition to the area, the houses are totally different to rest of Halfway and there is only 20 houses on the road, would love to see pictures of my road from old residents.

Thank you in advance.

Try this link to NLS . http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=53.3234&lon=-1.3488&layers=171 If the map does not take you to Halfway you can drag it about until you get there. Down in the bottom left corner is a slider to bring up a modern overlay on top of the old map. (you may need to go full screen) If you explore this site you can get maps from all different years. Also Picture Sheffield is always worth a try.

Edited by Boginspro
Forgot to mention.

I lived on Rotherham Road in the early seventies,in the old georgian cottages now demolished (64 Rotherham Road)there was Axtells shop on the corner run by my brother in laws parents,an abbatoir at the borrom of Station Road on the left,and the Halfway&Holbrook working mens club where the water ski-ing shop is,it was actually featured in an Whitbread Trophy bitter advert on the telly in the 70s a lot of famous acts to be passed through the doors of the old club...Happy memories

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid we lived in Rotherham and my Grandparents lived in Staveley, I'm pretty sure that on some of the buses you had to change at Halfway.

Not really about Halfway but not so far away, my Dad used to say to us kids lets make a Killamarsh fender, basically we would sit in a semi-circle round the fire. (coalfire of course) Anyone else heard this?

• 3 years later...

My Grandma lived in Mastin Moor, and I clearly remember her saying "Oh, it's like a Killamarsh fender in here", when we grandkids used to visit with our parents. She made the strongest tea I've ever had too. Used to hide behind her sofa and watch Doctor Who on black and white TV back in the mid to late 60's.

I worked on the building of the houses on halfway drive from station road up to the double top pub in the 70s when I worked for Sheffield council we built all the roads,footpaths,drains etc . The bus would drop us near the Queens pub then we had to walk the rest of the way to get to site if you missed the bus we didn't work that day