GM Crops - Your opinions?

Should we grow genetically modified crops?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should we grow genetically modified crops?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know/don't care

Originally posted by Gregsd

It's not about if people understand what GMFs are or not, it's about 9 out of 10 people beeing against it, full stop. It's like the Euro debate, a no, is a no, whatever the reason.

I accept that, but if someone doesn't understand what something is, how can they say they don't want it?

I don't like it. I have heard (sources may come later if I remember) that in one trial it was shown to adversely affect local wildlife and it is this that concerns me.

We are ecologically in a mess as it is, all very well and noble of us to try and solve problems, but mother nature being doing it herself for millenia without our help.

I can see how such crops would benefit third world countries - but if they are growing them for those countries why run the tests here? It is stupid.

I don't like it.

Moon

edited by spook

Originally posted by Sidla

The govenment gave the go ahead for genetically modified maize to be grown in the UK yesterday. According to the ITN news last night 9 out of every 10 people are against the growing of GM crops. It is my opinion that this is due to a lack of understanding about what exactly GM crops are, but I don't confess to being an expert on the subject myself. I also think that GM crops could be a good thing, according to a BBC article, the GM maize allows more weeds to flourish, which is better for wildlife.

However, I don't really have a strong opinion, so I thought I would start a topic on here to find out other people's opinions on the subject in an attempt to sway my opinion one way or the other.

If we eat GM crops we are eating weedkiller, and I for one don't want it thank you.

I have heard all the arguments for and against (not harmfull-feed the World etc.) but as usual the "experts" who profess to know, don't know any more than us. Thanks but no Thanks.

Originally posted by halevan

If we eat GM crops we are eating weedkiller, and I for one don't want it thank you.

Where did you hear that rubbish?

Originally posted by Sidla

I accept that, but if someone doesn't understand what something is, how can they say they don't want it?

You missed the point of my post i think. Even if i was ignorant, i would say no, and it would be final...

Beeing ignorant on a subject doesn't undermind the fact that a no is a no nevertheless, even if lots of people do not know precisely what GM food is.

BBC Radio Sheffield has a spokesperson from Friends of the Earth on yesterday morning.

The guy was saying that the public opionion against GM crops wasn't due to a lack of understanding at all; in fact the more people learn about GM technology, the less they want it!

No.. I'd rather stick to the natural stuff thankyou very much!

Though it's scary to know that milk from cow's fed on GM feed, may not be labeled as such. I think it's the consumers right to know what exactly they're eating/drinking, which includes it's source and knowing that it's healthy.

Originally posted by Gregsd

You missed the point of my post i think. Even if i was ignorant, i would say no, and it would be final...

Beeing ignorant on a subject doesn't undermind the fact that a no is a no nevertheless, even if lots of people do not know precisely what GM food is.

Yeah, but that just takes me back to my original point, that people only say no to it because they are ignorant.

In my opinion, the opinion of someone who knows very little about what they are giving their opinion on, is worthless. If that makes sense.

I wish the person who's voted for 'yes' could have posted, it would be nice to have a pro GM argument.

not everyone is as ignorant as you think...

I was making a supposition, but ignoring a no answer just because someone is ignorant on a subject is not acceptable

Read what the others are saying. They'd rather stick to natural stuff.

On the other hand, i admit you haven't stated your full opinion :)

Im not against GM crops in principle, but at the moment there is far too little known about the long-term implications of twiddling with plant genetics in this way.

I favour a continuing research. Im concerned that the companies involved with marketing GM crops are selling them as the answer to the worlds problems.

This is just an outright lie in my opinion - plenty of countries generate a surplus - more than enough to feed those countries that dont. Thats my impression anyway - of course youll hear arguments to support/refute that opinion from the anti/pro GM lobby respectively.

The problem is that everyone is trying to sell you the answer to the worlds problems. Selling is easy - all you do is lie until someone pays up. By the time we all find out the problems, itll be too late.

When i was a student, we spent some time looking at so-called radiation-therapy devices from the early part of the 20th Century. Devices to infuse your water with radon to give you a healthy glow(!!!) and other "useful" things - I can see us rushing into the same pitfalls now with GM products.

Personally I can imagine some circumstances where GM could be beneficial... e.g. third world extreme environments, etc.

The problem, of course, is there isn't enough $$$ to be made there so most of the focus for development and sales (as opposed to PR) is in products suitable for the rich West.

Of the current range of GM suggestions I can't see any overwhelming benefit for the consumer, environment, etc.

Perhaps there might be, then let the Government fund some more true, long term, independent research to convince the population. If the evidence keeps piling up at some point the opinion will shift.

I do agree that if the people don't want it and there is no overwhelming benefit / need, why try to push it.

This isn't like MMR where there are risks if it isn't done... so leave it until the case has been made emphatically.