Radiators problem (hot water not flowing into them)

Hi there,

I've got a problem with my radiators. Everything worked fine and then I tried to set the thermostat to a bit lower level. But hot water completely stopped flowing into radiators. So I tried to put it back as I thought that radiators work only on the highest temperature (bought the house a few months ago). But it did not help at all and they stay cold. Of course I then tried to bleed them (to let the air escape from all radiators and from the pump). I bled quite a lot of cold water until the hot started coming out. And then radiators went on and were hot. But two of them (downstairs) were hot only on the top, and the bottom stayed cold. However, when I turned the boiler on today, radiators stayed cold again. It seem like the cold water would not go away and would not make some space for new hot water.

Where the problem might be. What do you think, how much could the service cost? Could you recommend anybody or is here at the forum anybody who is able to help?

Thanks a lot

I ended up paying for a new pump to be fitted after mine went cold downstairs. My 'bad' for reading too many online advice forums. It made no difference. The plumber who fitted it told me the drain point was below floor level when it was actually in front of his nose. When I finally 'ignored' the expert advice and flushed the system, it all worked fine again but by this time I was a functioning pump and £130 poorer.

Hi there,

I've got a problem with my radiators. Everything worked fine and then I tried to set the thermostat to a bit lower level. But hot water completely stopped flowing into radiators. So I tried to put it back as I thought that radiators work only on the highest temperature (bought the house a few months ago). But it did not help at all and they stay cold. Of course I then tried to bleed them (to let the air escape from all radiators and from the pump). I bled quite a lot of cold water until the hot started coming out. And then radiators went on and were hot. But two of them (downstairs) were hot only on the top, and the bottom stayed cold. However, when I turned the boiler on today, radiators stayed cold again. It seem like the cold water would not go away and would not make some space for new hot water.

Where the problem might be. What do you think, how much could the service cost? Could you recommend anybody or is here at the forum anybody who is able to help?

Thanks a lot

Try putting the heating on, as the other radiators heat up then switch the working rads off and just leave the two problematic ones fully open to see if the heat then gets to them....may just need balancing and possibly a dose of cleanser