Blanking work colleagues – when is it OK to do this?

Here’s something that has been bothering me for a while and it’s basically about the right time to blank someone. OK, so you know that sometimes a person sees you and you try and say hello but they just walk on by and not even accept that you’re even there? Well that’s what I want to do to some people now but at the workplace environment. I work for a place and have done for about a year now. At first there was people that started as the same time as me and so at first we did the whole “hello and how are you?” rubbish what you got to do to be polite. This dragged on a few months even though we got our own mates now but for some weird reason we kind of keep doing nods and hellos when we see each other. Thing is though, it’s so obvious that no one wants to bother. Times have changed.

So the advice I want is this – how do I make a clean break? Basically when is it OK to no longer accept someone is even there? When is it OK to just blank these people?

Here’s something that has been bothering me for a while and it’s basically about the right time to blank someone. OK, so you know that sometimes a person sees you and you try and say hello but they just walk on by and not even accept that you’re even there? Well that’s what I want to do to some people now but at the workplace environment. I work for a place and have done for about a year now. At first there was people that started as the same time as me and so at first we did the whole “hello and how are you?” rubbish what you got to do to be polite. This dragged on a few months even though we got our own mates now but for some weird reason we kind of keep doing nods and hellos when we see each other. Thing is though, it’s so obvious that no one wants to bother. Times have changed.

So the advice I want is this – how do I make a clean break? Basically when is it OK to no longer accept someone is even there? When is it OK to just blank these people?

God I hate office politics...dont ask me im the most anti social person there is! Would of blanked them on day one!

Anyone can do what they please; I personally could count the number of people that I blank on one hand.

Gosh, how old are you and your colleagues? Sounds like playground stuff to me :)

I'm in my 20s and I think the people I work with is older but some are younger too so really it's a mix of people. It's actually an office we all work in so it's sometimes hard to avoid people but this has got me wishing I'd just ignored them from day one.

I'm in my 20s and I think the people I work with is older but some are younger too so really it's a mix of people. It's actually an office we all work in so it's sometimes hard to avoid people but this has got me wishing I'd just ignored them from day one.

Just keep saying hello, until the point they blank you. You can blank them thereafter, with a clear conscience ;):D

Just say hello, but dont make eye contact...

Just keep saying hello, until the point they blank you. You can blank them thereafter, with a clear conscience ;):D

That's actually a really good idea in a way! So I keep mumbling hello to these losers until I've grinded them down! I'll have the upper hand. It could take ages though but it's the best suggestion so far defo.

I like TJC1's idea too of just not looking at them as though I am discusted about been even in the same workplace as them!

That's actually a really good idea in a way! So I keep mumbling hello to these losers until I've grinded them down! I'll have the upper hand. It could take ages though but it's the best suggestion so far defo.

I like TJC1's idea too of just not looking at them as though I am discusted about been even in the same workplace as them!

Good grief! Working in the same environment as you must be a dream.

Good grief! Working in the same environment as you must be a dream.

its really not, my days of towing the company line are over...

hence why I no longer work in a large office environment whenever possible!!

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 16:23 ----------

Negative body language works. They soon get the message (without you having to spell it out)

Not just offices, I get it too, I'm a cleaner at a school, most people are lovely and always say hello, but others just blank you. I always mutter under my breath, miserable sod or something like that, sometimes just feel invisible though.