When did the 2p child's bus fare stop??

Longy67

I have just been sat talking to my daughter about the general price rise in things over the years and bus fares came up. I was telling her how the child fare was 2p and she asked me when did it go up from there, i thought about 1982, but not entirely sure. Anyone shed any light on this...

I think it might have been in April 1986. Until that point all fares were kept very low (adult fares ranged from 5p to 25p), but in April 1986 there were massive % increases in adult fares. It seems quite likely that the child fare of 2p was increased at the same time.

I could, of course, be completely wrong!

Was it when they privatized the Buses ?

Bus deregulation was in October 1986. From that date the council/ PTE bus operations had to be run by an "arms-length" company subject to the usual rules & regulations of private businesses. It was in preparation for this event that the massive fare increases of April 1986 happened.

I reckon around 1982. We moved from Foxhill to Waterthorpe that year and I'm pretty sure the bus fare was 4p.

In the January 1985 South Yorkshire Transport timetable the childrens fare is stated to be 2p for any adult fare up to 15p, and 4p for any adult fare over 15p. I do not have any timetables from early 1986 to hand at the moment to check if I was right or not in my earlier post.

I think that the adult fare from Waterthorpe to Sheffield in 1985 might have been 20p, so the child fare would have been 4p.

Edited by Library

Bus deregulation was in October 1986. From that date the council/ PTE bus operations had to be run by an "arms-length" company subject to the usual rules & regulations of private businesses. It was in preparation for this event that the massive fare increases of April 1986 happened.

In the January 1985 South Yorkshire Transport timetable the childrens fare is stated to be 2p for any adult fare up to 15p, and 4p for any adult fare over 15p. I do not have any timetables from early 1986 to hand at the moment to check if I was right or not in my earlier post.

I think that the adult fare from Waterthorpe to Sheffield in 1985 might have been 20p, so the child fare would have been 4p.

Nice one Library. Thanks for this, brings back a few memories. I think the bus number from town to Waterthorpe was the X29.