Linking to the Sheffield Star

I know its very rare, as we always get the information before the Sheffield Star anyhow. However should we be careful when linking to Sheffield Star artciles.

Sheffield Online on Facebook have been told not to do it by the Sheffield Star (see link to Sheffield Online).

So wondering if we are no longer able to do it or are the rules different as it is a forum?

Well, I haven't heard of anything like that pertaining to SF. But of course I'm just a mod and maybe not privy to everything.

But it seems to me that if it's in the public domain, it's pretty much fair game to link to it...After all it's driving traffic their way...

Although, it has to be said Sheffield Forummers do tend to post negative stuff about editorial content etc...

I'd like to see what legal argument they can put forward to stop people posting links.

Without knowing exactly what was said by the Star to that FB group though its hard to say.

One poster claimed "you were basically copying and pasting their entire article which meant people didn't need to click through to The Star's website and therefore weren't making any advertising revenue."

From a quick skim it looks like there are several news stories with neither a link nor any acknowledgement of the source. If the content has been lifted as such from The Star's website then I understand why they might be aggrieved.

Linking provides the site with the needed clicks; I'm sure they wouldn't object to that.

Urg... Sheffield Online is a terrible page on Facebook, I wish somebody else would take over it. Anything written by the author is full of terrible grammar and spelling mistakes, often resulting in gibberish. The legible articles they do post are copy and pasted from a range of sites and very rarely acknowledge the source of the information. They often even manage to mess up the grammar in copy and pasted articles (I'm assuming they are trying to change them slightly so it's not a direct copy).

In addition, they often post a lot of rumours, misinformation, spam/chainmail and clickbait. The information about traffic accidents would be useful, if they posted about it before the traffic had actually cleared and if it was correct.

The Star probably told them to stop posting all articles off of their website because it's simply easier than explaining to the author how to correctly share articles off of websites and Facebook.

i was a little bemused when Sheffield online posted The Sheffield Stars request to cease posting their stories, more so as almost every article on the Stars Web Page has a facebook/twitter link to enable users to post to their timelines etc, it's not like Sheffield online were making money out of the stories, :huh: