Moorhead is it still there?

Any idea what Furnival Gate referred to hillsbro,I mean was it ever an actual gate ?
I don't think so - I suppose that when the upper part of Furnival Street was widened, "Furnival Gate" just sounded nice to the city fathers.:) as was also perhaps the case with other new roads such as Arundel Gate and St Mary's Gate. The old norse word "gata" meant a road - so there is Fargate, also Waingate (= "cart road").

At the junction of Pinstone Street, The Moor and Furnival Gate (Furnival Street as was) - see here..:)

Hi Hillsborough:

Is there an online source for the old (1950''s) map on the LEFT?

Our old neighborhood, and our old stomping grounds have been demolished and redeveloped so that the areas are unrecognizable, and we sometimes debate where everything was exactly.

I can see old Sheffield Centre maps, but they seldom extend down London Road to our Heeley.

TIA

Hi Hillsborough:

Is there an online source for the old (1950''s) map on the LEFT?

Our old neighborhood, and our old stomping grounds have been demolished and redeveloped so that the areas are unrecognizable, and we sometimes debate where everything was exactly.

I can see old Sheffield Centre maps, but they seldom extend down London Road to our Heeley.

TIA

Try THIS.

You need to click on the square you want to view and this will tell you the map number. Then scroll right down to near the bottom of the page, past the alphabetical list, until you find the map.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Try THIS.

You need to click on the square you want to view and this will tell you the map number. Then scroll right down to near the bottom of the page, past the alphabetical list, until you find the map.

Thank you!

It was really good to see the old neighborhood again, exactly as it was when I lived there.

Memories!

....Is there an online source for the old (1950''s) map on the LEFT?...
As Jim Hardie noted the sheffieldhistory.co.uk site is very good for local maps, especially those 1950s large-scale Ordnance Survey maps that show the city as we 'oldies' remember it! The source I used for the side-by-side comparison is the National Library of Scotland website here..:)

• 2 weeks later...