What was the name of the Gents' outfitters in Hillsborough?

Would that be the same 'Burgess's' that was on Attercliffe Road between Staniforth Road and 'Banner's'?...
Yes, here is a scan from an old directory.

---------- Post added 22-04-2016 at 09:06 ----------

Hello I have just joined this forum but I am interested in Burdalls. I have a 1934/6 Austin 7 Van first registered by Burdalls in 1936.
Hi mosccat - welcome to the Forum! Your van dates from soon after Burdall's had moved into the former Hillsborough Barracks. This was a time when the firm was expanding rapidly. They had previously occupied two sites near the city centre, the offices being on Gibraltar Street and the factory on nearby Allen Street. Needing to expand, Mr Burdall snr. (Herbert M. Burdall, 1874-1964) bought the Barracks for £10,000 in 1932. Here is a Wikipedia article about the barracks which mentions the Burdall's purchase. As "manufacturing chemists", Burdall's produced many different pharmaceutical commodities in the 1930s-1960s, from cough medicine to children's aspirin to tincture of iodine, but their most famous product was their gravy salt. After producing baking powder in the mid-1890s, Herbert Burdall (to quote my friend Roy Jenkinson, at one time Burdall's chief chemist) "had heard about caramel (burnt sugar) from Germany and its browning effect when added to water. When mixed with salt and hot water it gave a good, slightly savoury effect when tasted - hence gravy salt". Herbert Burdall began to manufacture his gravy salt in 1898. By means of shrewd marketing, sales of gravy salt took off and it became Herbert Burdall's most profitable product (even though it consisted of nothing but salt and caramel). :)

• 5 years later...
On 09/07/2015 at 13:55, gwyn_roberts said:

In the 1950 and 1960s, when I was a child, my grandparents used to buy me and my brothers new clothes from a Gents outfitters in Hillsborough. The shop was opposite Woolworth's shop. I can visualise it but I cannot recall the name. Does anyone recall this shop?

THE  SHOP WAS CALLED NEVILLE REEDS AND LATER BECAME JOHN TEMPLES AND I USED TO WORK THERE. THE SHOP IS NOW A RED CROSS SHOP.  FROM GARY NEEDHAM

On 12/07/2015 at 15:20, hillsbro said:

The business actually has its origin in a pawnbroker's shop owned by William Parker (1840-1896). He had worked as assistant to a pawnbroker and set up his own business at 17 Middlewood Road (then called Langsett Road) in 1883. He and his family lived over the shop, and his son William Hugh Parker (1870-1935) inherited the business. William (known as "Billy") moved to Marlcliffe Road in c. 1908, and also worked as a tailor/outfitter from home. When the old police station at 15 Middlewood Road closed in c. 1918 he purchased the property and opened the gents' outfitters shop there. His older son John (known as Billy like his father) eventually ran this business and the younger Arnold ran the jeweller's shop.

Peter Hayman is Ron Haymans son and Philip ( Pip) is the other still alive the last I heard Peter had the Pinegrove club along with Jack Timms and a jewellers shop on Pinstone St Philip had Pippys on Cambridge St.I knew Ron their dad well from 1960 when they lived near Bolsterstone.

On 12/07/2015 at 21:04, outdoors said:

I think Fred Ericks was down Infimary Road england 27.

Fred Eric had two shops when he packed up opposite the park Jack Dyson sold ex army motorbikes from it