Tips for CV writing

DONT! use word templates, everyone else already does that! make sure its no more than two sides long, include relevant information, in chronological order, make sure its easy to read.

If you're goin for admin work, unless its agency, you normally have to fill out application forms anyway, not that many companies accept CVs nowadays.

Hope this helps!

(i used to work for Lincs County Council recruitment,so hopefully know what im on about :) )

Use bullet points rather than big blocks of text.

Don't use the first person when describing what you do, use the third person all the way through.

Put a summary after your personal details, telling the potential employer exactly what key skills and experience you can offer them. Keep this short - no more than three or four sentences.

Remember to put ALL your contact details on! It sounds obvious, but the number of people who miss off their address or their phone number is unbelievable!

For each job you've had try to list your achievements as well as your duties, this will show that you made an impact.

If you're light on the job experience side of things then don't forget to include any relevant non-work experience you have.

Do NOT have a hobbies and interests section that lists reading, swimming and cinema - everyone puts these down!!

Public sector will generally require application forms to be completed, but CVs are still commonly required by the private sector.

I am a Secretary/PA working for a small team of Commercial Staff and on a one-to-one basis with the overall manager. I have advanced knowledge of Word and as a result, have demonstrated this in my CV by putting text boxes round my personal information, using different styles of fonts and different font sizes.

I know people say that you should not use fancy fonts and text boxes as part of your CV, but I have just landed a fantastic opportunity and a pay increase of £4k, with further increments promised on a yearly basis.

I am a Secretary/PA working for a small team of Commercial Staff and on a one-to-one basis with the overall manager. I have advanced knowledge of Word and as a result, have demonstrated this in my CV by putting text boxes round my personal information, using different styles of fonts and different font sizes.

I know people say that you should not use fancy fonts and text boxes as part of your CV, but I have just landed a fantastic opportunity and a pay increase of £4k, with further increments promised on a yearly basis.

Congratulations on your new job. It just shows that different employers look for different things because if I'd got your CV (as you describe it) it would have gone straight in the bin, especially with different fonts and font sizes! No offence meant :)

No offence taken Old Bloke. It doesn't look that bad to be honest. Why be plain and the same as everyone else when you can stand out from the crowd, albeit slightly?

I know one thing, my CV gets me noticed because it's different. It contains the same information as anyone else's CV, but it's not a boring black and white list of information - and when you're inundated with information all presented the same way it gets tedious searching through it. Some people do actually look for something that little bit different, and I'm happy to oblige. :)

I am re-writing my CV in hope to get a new job (admin or secretarial)

Do you have any good tips?

xx

Lie.

Unless you have a few a-c's then your ok... otherwise 95% of people just bin them.. id never take that much onboard from cv's.. meeting the person tells you more in 1 minute then a cv does.

- don't put your picture on (ive seen this done and it appears odd to me)

- triple check for spelling mistakes

- put references you trust to not backstab you

- no more then two pages

- not many fancy fonts... arial, gil sans or verdana will do

- get some nice quality paper... cant remember what thickness i used but i think it makes things look a lot more neater.