Broadband & Landline Telephone Questions

RickyM

Hello everyone

I'm due to 'go live' in a few days with TalkTalk. I'm getting Broadband and Anytime UK calls for a good price and not being charged a connection fee.

I've never had internet and a landline before so would be grateful for any answers to my questions:

Will I need a Telephone Doubler so that I can use both the router and the landline phone? Or is it usually provided by the provider?

Does a wireless router connected with an Ethernet Cable reduce interference? I'm being sent one but don't fully know what its use is.

Finally, I've been given a number that begins with a '4' i.e. 0114 4xx xxxx for my landline - Has anyone else got one? I thought numbers in Sheffield began with a 2 or a 3. I know a few people with a number beginning with a 3 and they say some people don't believe them when they give it out!!! The 2xx xxxx format being the most common of course.

Any information would be a great help.

There will be a micro filter in the router box that splits the voice and data. Just plug it in the phone socket and one port goes to the phone, and one to the router. Different shape/size so you can't get them the wrong way round.

It will be a wifi router so you can connect devices either wireless or via Ethernet. And you can use the phone and internet at the same time.

Not sure about the number starting with 4. My landline has never been plugged in but I still get conned for the line rental! :hihi:

Edited by mimic
Added Info

It looks like it was moved to Computer & Tech Chat.

Oh!

I presumed it had been deleted as it wasn't really related to Sheffield.

I hope the new post I've added doesn't get deleted.

Thanks.

Hello everyone

I'm due to 'go live' in a few days with TalkTalk. I'm getting Broadband and Anytime UK calls for a good price and not being charged a connection fee.

I've never had internet and a landline before so would be grateful for any answers to my questions:

Will I need a Telephone Doubler so that I can use both the router and the landline phone? Or is it usually provided by the provider?

Does a wireless router connected with an Ethernet Cable reduce interference? I'm being sent one but don't fully know what its use is.

Finally, I've been given a number that begins with a '4' i.e. 0114 4xx xxxx for my landline - Has anyone else got one? I thought numbers in Sheffield began with a 2 or a 3. I know a few people with a number beginning with a 3 and they say some people don't believe them when they give it out!!! The 2xx xxxx format being the most common of course.

Any information would be a great help.

You will get a splitter, so no need to worry about that. When they install, make sure they install it in the phone-socket YOU WANT. When BT installed here they installed it in the hallway (nearest to the entry-point) instead of in the first floor living room. We had poor wi-fi signal for ages, when I swapped to TalkTalk I asked them to connect to the socket in the living room, fixed a lot of issues (and they did it for free! no guarantees they will now!)

Your wireless router connects to the socket with an ethernet cable, don't worry about it, just technical lingo. But be aware that the cable might be short (and it is a right pain to trail a cable through the house), so again, get the installer to use the optimal socket.

On the 4 - I think they have let go of that system some time ago, the area code is the only geographical indicator now afaik.

You will get a splitter, so no need to worry about that. When they install, make sure they install it in the phone-socket YOU WANT. When BT installed here they installed it in the hallway (nearest to the entry-point) instead of in the first floor living room. We had poor wi-fi signal for ages, when I swapped to TalkTalk I asked them to connect to the socket in the living room, fixed a lot of issues (and they did it for free! no guarantees they will now!)

Your wireless router connects to the socket with an ethernet cable, don't worry about it, just technical lingo. But be aware that the cable might be short (and it is a right pain to trail a cable through the house), so again, get the installer to use the optimal socket.

On the 4 - I think they have let go of that system some time ago, the area code is the only geographical indicator now afaik.

Thanks for your response.

My desktop is right in front of the old telephone socket so I don't think I'll have any problems with it being too short, assuming they place the new telephone socket near the old one.

I didn't know what you meant in the last paragraph - TalkTalk have provided me with my number and after the area dialling code it then starts with 4. Most numbers begin with a 2. The system hasn't been 'let go'.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 12:30 ----------

I wouldn't worry about the number beginning with the number 4 a mate of mine and a relative has the number beginning with it

I've just given my number to the Doctors and the receptionist just typed it into the keyboard without hesitation so I think you are right.

Thanks for your response.

My desktop is right in front of the old telephone socket so I don't think I'll have any problems with it being too short, assuming they place the new telephone socket near the old one.

I didn't know what you meant in the last paragraph - TalkTalk have provided me with my number and after the area dialling code it then starts with 4. Most numbers begin with a 2. The system hasn't been 'let go'.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 12:30 ----------

I've just given my number to the Doctors and the receptionist just typed it into the keyboard without hesitation so I think you are right.

Let me try and clarify:

Before the introduction of digital telephony there used to be a system where the numbers indicated a specific exchange, so for example (and with made up numbers) 011 indicated Yorkshire and 0114 indicated Sheffield, then within Sheffield there would be further exchanges so 01142 would indicate Sheffield centre and refer to an actual, physical exchange. These days that is no longer necessary. Theoretically you can move to London and have an 01142 number, but because of the convention that would just confuse people and there is some value in being able to identify a phone-number as coming from a certain area.

Let me try and clarify:

Before the introduction of digital telephony there used to be a system where the numbers indicated a specific exchange, so for example (and with made up numbers) 011 indicated Yorkshire and 0114 indicated Sheffield, then within Sheffield there would be further exchanges so 01142 would indicate Sheffield centre and refer to an actual, physical exchange. These days that is no longer necessary. Theoretically you can move to London and have an 01142 number, but because of the convention that would just confuse people and there is some value in being able to identify a phone-number as coming from a certain area.

I understand now what you meant. Thanks for explaining to me. I agree that it would be confusing in doing that. Geographical dialling codes are preferred by many people when phoning organisations, for example.

An 01142 number should be written as 0114 2 though, just like 01143 should be 0114 3!!!