Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

The Big Valley was a ranch headed by a woman was'nt it?

Yes it was Barbara Stanwyck. That was also where Lee Majors started out. The show was basically a rip off of Bonanza, with a Matriarch instead of a Patriarch

Didn't realise Lee Majors was in it,obviously pre 6 million dollar man.

Used to enjoy The High Chapparel,but that was more 70,s.

Didn't realise Lee Majors was in it,obviously pre 6 million dollar man.

Used to enjoy The High Chapparel,but that was more 70,s.

I believe Lee Majors name in the show was Heath and he was the adopted one out of her sons, if I remember correctly. Yes it was well before 6million dollar man, in fact it was his TV debut

I'm amazed that no one has remembered 'Have Gun will Travel' with Richard Boone in the part of Paladin, the shooter.

Although not a series I thought 'High Noon' was one of the best Westerns ever put out. It was Gary Cooper, Lloyd Bridges and Grace Kelly at their very best with a terrific story line and also with one of the most memorable accompanying pieces of music.

I'm amazed that no one has remembered 'Have Gun will Travel' with Richard Boone in the part of Paladin, the shooter.

See Post #31, mate!

While we're on this subject lets not forget the man who was prominent singing many theme songs from the western films and tv series, the immortal Frankie Laine, 'Rawhide, 'Blazing Saddles, 'High Noon,' and my favourite from him "The 3:10 to Yuma' a Glenn Ford and western classic. Plus another one of his, maybe not from a film 'That lucky old sun..ain't got nothin' to do ...but to roam around heaven all day.

Sorry, but another famous cowboy, Tex Ritter, sang High Noon, at least in the film. Maybe Frankie did a version later. I also loved the 3;10 to Yuma song plus a lot of other Frankie Laine songs.

---------- Post added 06-06-2015 at 20:43 ----------

I do think that has been mentioned, but just thought of one that hasn't, and I loved it Rin Tin Tin

---------- Post added 06-06-2015 at 20:53 ----------

Although not a series I thought 'High Noon' was one of the best Westerns ever put out. It was Gary Cooper, Lloyd Bridges and Grace Kelly at their very best with a terrific story line and also with one of the most memorable accompanying pieces of music.

I liked any film with Lee Van Cleef in it. He was the ultimate bad guy in 50's 60's westerns, others of note were Jack Elam( also in the film) Neville Brand. Charles Bronson(before he made the step up to starring roles) and of course Bruce Dern, who is still doing it.

Edited by TORONTONY

Jack Palance always played the baddy.He was on "Parkinson" when he was 76 years old,jumped off his chair and did a one-armed press-up.Memorable.

My hero was Wyatt Earp but the main attraction for me was the gear they wore, I strived to make my holster and gun look like the real thing, string around my leg and practising quick draws in front of the mirror. Also made a whip and got quite good with it but still couldn't match the amazing feats of Lash Larue.

Anyone remember Four Feather Falls?A sort of cartoony type kids cowboy and his sidekick.

If we're talking TV westerns, my favourite was always Range Rider. That's closely followed by Gun Law.

I liked my cowboys to look like ' proper ' cowboys, couldn't stand the Lone Ranger type in their figure hugging , sequinned outfits.

Loved the puppet series ' Four Feather Falls ' that was in some ways a bit of a send up of the TV western

I also love Four Feather Falls.

My hero was Wyatt Earp but the main attraction for me was the gear they wore, I strived to make my holster and gun look like the real thing, string around my leg and practising quick draws in front of the mirror. Also made a whip and got quite good with it but still couldn't match the amazing feats of Lash Larue.

Never had a cowboy outfit, but I worked for a few:hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 07-06-2015 at 10:27 ----------

Jack Palance always played the baddy.He was on "Parkinson" when he was 76 years old,jumped off his chair and did a one-armed press-up.Memorable.

Yes, forgot to mention Jack, he was one of the best. He did some kind of push ups when he collected his Oscar for City Slickers around the time you mentioned. He got the biggest ovation of the night.