Motor Vehicle databases,are they reliable?

Geared. Yet again you have got your facts wrong.A car does not have to be insured in order to tax it.It has been like this for about a year now.Check this out on Gov Uk.I assume your next post will be an apology.

No, they haven't changed the check, it's still performed - it's just done on computer now.

If you want to tax an un-insured car you'll need a trade type policy to do it.

but the point of this thread is you moaning about getting 'caught out'

If you're taxing and driving a car using your trade policy you would have a copy of that policy in your pocket anyway, so you wouldn't be 'caught out'.

Edited by geared

Geared. Yet again you have got your facts wrong.A car does not have to be insured in order to tax it.It has been like this for about a year now.Check this out on Gov Uk.I assume your next post will be an apology.

Ummmm....In line with CIE (Continuous Insurance Enforcement) a vehicle does need to be insured to enable taxing....it might not be required (in physical paper terms) to tax it on line, but try taxing it if it's not insured on line...and the advice from the post office is to take an insurance certificate with you...

Edited by PeteMorris

GEARED and PETE MORRIS.You are both wrong.If you have the V5C,the green part of the V5C or the renewal slip, the car can be taxed without any insurance whatsoever.It can be done on line or at the post office.The post office does not check if it is insured in these circumstances.The test is however checked in these circumstances.I queried this with the DVLA.Apparently this ruling was brought in almost a year ago because they know of the delay in receiving insurance documents and also the delay of updating the database.It was also to do with the immediate cancellation of tax on sale of the car.Please check with the DVLA or GOV.UK before slagging me off any more(Geared)

GEARED and PETE MORRIS.You are both wrong.If you have the V5C,the green part of the V5C or the renewal slip, the car can be taxed without any insurance whatsoever.It can be done on line or at the post office.The post office does not check if it is insured in these circumstances.The test is however checked in these circumstances.I queried this with the DVLA.Apparently this ruling was brought in almost a year ago because they know of the delay in receiving insurance documents and also the delay of updating the database.It was also to do with the immediate cancellation of tax on sale of the car.Please check with the DVLA or GOV.UK before slagging me off any more(Geared)

So please explain CIE....How does that work?

Why do you assume I am slagging you off?

We're just going by what information is online:

http://ask.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/help/car_insurance/tax_without_cert

You can tax your vehicle on-line and over the phone without a certificate of motor insurance, however you do need to be insured at the time of taxing your vehicle, the DVLA will be able to check you have insurance in force.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Continuous+Insurance+Enforcement/default.htm

So please explain CIE....How does that work?

C.I.E only applies if the vehicle is parked on the road,then it must also be taxed.If S.O.R.N is declared the vehicle does not have to have tax or insurance,however it must not be used or parked on the road.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 20:18 ----------

Hi Geared.Having just checked on the web I now appreciate your reluctance to believe my claim that cars don't have to be insured in order to get tax.However I have come across a PDF which explains it.Unfortunately not being much good with a computer I don't know how to provide a click on link.If you go on to www.GOV.UK,then type"Remove the insurance check when taxing a vehicle"into the search box at the top,then scroll down to this heading,all the information is given there.

Edited by ivan edake

I looked it up for you

And I quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/remove-the-insurance-check-when-taxing-a-vehicle

The government is proposing to remove the annual or 6-monthly checks that are currently made for a valid insurance policy when an application is made to tax a vehicle, now that a more continuous check of motor insurance is carried out through CIE.

This was indeed enacted. And there is now a continuous check, instead of a spot check.

If the car is not SORN (ie is to be taxed) then CIE applies and the car must be continuously insured.

As part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) it is a legal offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road by means of a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN). You don't have to be driving to be caught.

I looked it up for you

And I quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/remove-the-insurance-check-when-taxing-a-vehicle

This was indeed enacted. And there is now a continuous check, instead of a spot check.

If the car is not SORN (ie is to be taxed) then CIE applies and the car must be continuously insured.

Thanks Cyclone that is the correct page.The continuous check is of course with the database.No insurance checks are now made when taxing a car.The doubters have only to go and ask at the post office.

However

If you have just taken out a policy it can take up to 7 days for your insurance information to reach the Motor Insurance Database.

To check if your details have been updated please check here for free http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/.

If you need to tax your vehicle during this period just complete this short form, we'll put your document in the post and you should recieve it within 5 working days.

If they don't think it's insured, you WILL need to prove it.

Yes these are the ones.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 21:38 ----------

However

If they don't think it's insured, you WILL need to prove it.

I think i saw this quote on the direct line site.As I say,ask at the Post Office,they do not electronically test for insurance only the test.

Sorry Geared you've got things wrong yet again.Whilst your comments do apply to road tax, rest assured if your insurance company hasn't put your car details on the database, and you can't prove to the police you are insured,your car will be impounded.Ringing the DVLA will not help.This effectively means that in most cases if you are stopped after 6pm or on a Sunday,you will not be able to contact your insurance company to prove you are insured.(I know some companies open longer hours)Similar contact hours will be available for the DVLA so the same thing applies.The sensible thing to do is to tax the car at a post office and carry your receipt,also carry your insurance certificate.However if you have just changed your vehicle it can take a couple of weeks for the documents to arrive, and this is what causes the problems.

Your wrong ...if your insurance is valid they email you a cover note strsight away!!! If you are 100% legal there's no way your car can be impounded always ways to prove it!!!

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 18:39 ----------

Of course vehicles need to be insured to tax!!

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 18:41 ----------

C.I.E only applies if the vehicle is parked on the road,then it must also be taxed.If S.O.R.N is declared the vehicle does not have to have tax or insurance,however it must not be used or parked on the road.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 20:18 ----------

Hi Geared.Having just checked on the web I now appreciate your reluctance to believe my claim that cars don't have to be insured in order to get tax.However I have come across a PDF which explains it.Unfortunately not being much good with a computer I don't know how to provide a click on link.If you go on to www.GOV.UK,then type"Remove the insurance check when taxing a vehicle"into the search box at the top,then scroll down to this heading,all the information is given there.

You can not declare a vehicle sorn and park it on the bloody road that's what it's call a off road notice defeats the object if it's taxed!!

If it on the road needs to be insured