Youths in Wadsley bridge Sainsburys

I've seen this course of action fail myself, professionals do sometimes need a shove. I've also seen it used successfully many times. I also believe that there is nothing wrong with the child who is being bullied standing up for themselves and giving it back. What I don't advocate is the assault of children by adults which is what some posters on here believe is a good thing.
A 'good hiding' is mostly a figure of speech, though. I'm not so sure posters have actually advocated wanton ABH or GBH of kids.

Surely you don't believe that we should give any child a 'good hiding' or even 'paste the crap' out of them when they do wrong do you?
Not unless in self-defence and, as with everything, at all times subject to circumstances.

It's an incontrovertible fact that kids nowadays are far more authority-proof than they were in times gone by and, as kids will always be kids and push to test limits, that is bound to result in 'worse' anti-social behaviour than in times gone by. Education, mediation, care are all the answers that we wish for and want for them, as all well-adjusted normally-functioning adults should. But where there is demonstrably no respect for others, for their property, for authority on which to build...that's a tall order.

Edited by L00b

Surely it's all down to them not paying road tax and insurance like all other cycling misdemeanours. :D

A 'good hiding' is mostly a figure of speech, though. I'm not so sure posters have actually advocated wanton ABH or GBH of kids.

I usually read the phrase a 'good hiding' as a physical assault. If the posters actually meant something else then I am pretty sure they would not have used this phrase.

It's an incontrovertible fact that kids nowadays are far more authority-proof than they were in times gone by and, as kids will always be kids and push to test limits, that is bound to result in 'worse' anti-social behaviour than in times gone by. Education, mediation, care are all the answers that we wish for and want for them, as all well-adjusted normally-functioning adults should. But where there is demonstrably no respect for others, for their property, for authority on which to build...that's a tall order.

I cannot agree with this. In my experience there is very little difference in anti social behaviour now compared to say twenty years ago. I find that the vast majority of youths are generally respectful members of the community too. That does not mean it is a not a problem, just not really as big a problem as it was in the past.

I usually read the phrase a 'good hiding' as a physical assault. If the posters actually meant something else then I am pretty sure they would not have used this phrase.

I cannot agree with this. In my experience there is very little difference in anti social behaviour now compared to say twenty years ago. I find that the vast majority of youths are generally respectful members of the community too. That does not mean it is a not a problem, just not really as big a problem as it was in the past.

A good hiding would be (unfortunatly) classed as physical assault these days. Almost any form of slap is. Yet when I got a good hiding when I was younger it was because I'd done something pretty severe. I cannot remember what now but I know I didn't do it again.

I have never felt abused attacked and its just a form of punishment that certain sections want to outlaw as they know whats best for parents.

They say its bad parenting. I would say its a choice some parents use other methods of punishment my father used a good hiding. Either way if it works great why punish parents for doing it.

L00b - Bang on!

A good hiding would be (unfortunatly) classed as physical assault these days. Almost any form of slap is. Yet when I got a good hiding when I was younger it was because I'd done something pretty severe. I cannot remember what now but I know I didn't do it again.

I have never felt abused attacked and its just a form of punishment that certain sections want to outlaw as they know whats best for parents.

They say its bad parenting. I would say its a choice some parents use other methods of punishment my father used a good hiding. Either way if it works great why punish parents for doing it.

The problem would be where the line is crossed when physical punishment becomes physical abuse. I think our lines are somewhat different as I consider any physical assault of a child by a grown adult to be abuse. Thankfully so does the law.

I think far too many adults actually get a kick out of it.

The problem would be where the line is crossed when physical punishment becomes physical abuse. I think our lines are somewhat different as I consider any physical assault of a child by a grown adult to be abuse. Thankfully so does the law.

I think far too many adults actually get a kick out of it.

And so it begins thats why we have the problem of feral youths causing problems. There is no fear of reprisal. We cannot do anything to stop them.

And so it begins thats why we have the problem of feral youths causing problems. There is no fear of reprisal. We cannot do anything to stop them.

Can you genuinely not think of anything else to do for young people than hit them? Sad or what?

Why do you want to hit children?

I cannot agree with this. In my experience there is very little difference in anti social behaviour now compared to say twenty years ago.
That is entirely your prerogative.

But I daresay that 20 years' worth of ever-increasing desensitisation to ever-more graphically-portrayed violence, peer pressure and dynamics squared or even cubed by online social media, and all the ills and particularly the wants of a global consumerist society shoved down impressionable throats, have had the requisite effect. For shame, of course. Ours, as kids haven't ever had much to do at all with what's driving all that.

In much the same way as e.g. child and kidult fitness levels compared to 20 years ago.

I find that the vast majority of youths are generally respectful members of the community too. That does not mean it is a not a problem, just not really as big a problem as it was in the past.
The vast majority of indeed peaceful kids is not, and never has been a problem. They're not the ones we're talking about, I think.

Talking of anecdotal evidence and experiences, they're the kids who will say "hello" to me as I walk my dog by, or ask me (with a please) to kick their football back over to them, or thank me for holding the dog short on the leash as they cycle by. That's most of them. Unsurprisingly, I might add.

They're not the rough-looking 4 or 5 teenagers who make disparaging comments about me, or my daughter, or dog <etc.> under their breath as they walk by, audibly enough to invite a confrontation (which I just ignore), or who on a few occasions have 'square up' to me (3 in front, 2 at back), hands in their pockets and hoods on, before asking me for the time or a cigarette (without a please) in semi- or close to full darkness. Like I haven't seen that one played a few times before :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen the whiter-than-fresh-snow, over-developed dentition of a black-as-coal 'large' Patterdale shine in the glare of a LED torchlight? Think about the alien creatures of 'Attack the Block' and you won't be far off. The fact that the equally-disproportioned warning bark would make a US Marines drill sergeant flinch in his boots helps a fair bot too.

Edited by L00b

I think that's a massive assumption. What are you basing it on? Your own personal experiences or some sort of quantifiable data? I know teachers and their view differs from yours.

I think that's a massive assumption. What are you basing it on? Your own personal experiences or some sort of quantifiable data? I know teachers and their view differs from yours.

The key phrase is 'in my experience', that is what I am basing it on. This is experience of life in general and professionally. Growing up where I did in the 70's and 80's and even into the 90's I occasionally saw some really nasty stuff going on. I do think we live in a much safer environment compared to then. There have always been some youths that are disrespectful, this is nothing new at all.

I know teachers too; some have similar views, others have different views. What have teachers got to do with this?